01. THE SUCCESSOR

MONKIE KID: A HERO IS BORN

Peaceful chirping and playful shrieks echoed throughout the mountain, belonging to the ever-growing groups of monkeys that swung across the branches of flourishing trees that grew past the shrubbery below, creating masses of shade for those to reside underneath. The sun showed little fear in beaming rays of heat onto the earth, feeding the greenery that thrived under its attention.

Few animals were doing anything but basking in the opportune weather, gathering their peers to rough-house away from their elders, or grooming their loved ones with the intent to simply relax and laze the day away. Those that weren't partaking in these activities, however, were seeking refuge in the caverns of the mountain; remodelled over the centuries to ensure the comfort of its inhabitants—that being, the Monkey King and the youngin that had followed in his steps.

The mentioned demons were seated in the modernised lounge room, a crumpled bag of half-eaten peach chips between them. Surrounding them were the monkeys that had taken on a habit of loafing around inside, content with seeking occasional affection and stealing the odd snack out of the usually-barren cabinets. The younger monkey demon had a particularly needy creature curled on on their stomach, a hand reached out to gently scratch its head.

Similarly to every other day as of recent, you had nothing on your to-do list. You were almost glad to be stuck on the couch, repetitively giving attention to any monkey that craved it, and snatching sugary treats from grabby little hands that knew better than to indulge in the foods they shouldn't eat. The Great Sage, however, did not share the same problem.

"Alright, bud. I gotta head out, but I'll be back before dinner," Wukong bounced off of his seat on the couch next to you, stretching his arms upwards, "Don't have too much fun without me."

He moved behind the chair, reaching his tail over to flick your hair into your face as he passed by. You sputtered, blindly attempting to whack the appendage in return.

"W-Wait! You—You're leaving? Where're you going?" In surprise at the short notice of his departure, you lurched forwards, forgetting about the monkey in your hold as it shrieked.

You fumbled for a moment, fixing your grip on the animal and apologising as you, carefully, placed it onto the seat that Wukong had occupied.

"Just to the city—nothing to worry your little head about. Got some business to keep an eye on, or something..."

You held a suspicious gaze at his unsure sentence, before distracting yourself at the mention of the mainland, "Oh, oh! Can't I go with you? If you're just—"

As you pushed yourself upwards, leaning over the cushions on the back of the couch to stare at Wukong with hope-filled eyes and an eagerly wagging tail, he lifted a clawed hand to your face, "You know the rules, bud. You can't come with me."