Selkie

Emeline would often find herself looking out her window, her eyes filled with longing as she stared at the ocean. Ever since she was little, she had longed to be near the sea; she felt connected to it. But why...? Why did her chest ache so painfully every time she was near the vast blue waters? A deep sigh left the young beauty's lips, catching the attention of the older man beside her. Her father was a widowed fisherman, who had taken her in at a very young age after his beloved wife passed away. In truth, the older man had kept a secret from his adopted daughter, one that tugged at his heart for years as he watched her grow into a beautiful young woman.

Emeline was a Selkie, a creature of Irish folklore that was said to take the form of a seal while in the ocean. The man had found her on the shores of the beach 18 years ago, watching in awe as a seal shed her skin to reveal a human child, one with dark brown hair and chocolate-colored eyes. She was a thing of beauty, the man thought to himself that day. He had scooped up the poor thing in her arms, and after bringing her home, he locked away her seal skin in hopes of her never finding her true identity.

He began to notice how her natural beauty lured many men, watching them fall victim to her innocence and hidden charm. He also noticed how easily dehydrated she would become, consuming large amounts of water every day. Now to see her staring at the ocean with longing and pain, it broke his heart to keep her away from her true home. He realized for the first time in his long life that his selfish wishes had been holding the girl back.

He then began to open up a chest that was settled near his bedside, causing the young Emeline to turn to him with confusion. Before she had a chance to ask what was the matter, her gaze turned soft as she saw the tears forming in his tired eyes, her seal skin in his hands before he knelt down on his knees and placed the soft skin on her lap.

"My dear Emeline," he began, his voice tender yet filled with pain as he touched her cheek. "You are my pride and joy, as well as a gift that I have always wanted. But my heart is torn in two ways... I wish I could have you stay at my side forever, like my beloved daughter. But I must set you free, to have you find your place in this world." His lower lip quivered, a lone tear rolling down his face. "You must go to the sea, and there you will no longer be held back. Be free, my daughter."

Emeline stared into his pale gray eyes, her hand placed onto his as she listened carefully to his words. Her eyes filled with tears as a knowing and gentle smile creased her lips. It was then, taking the sealskin and pressing it to her heart, that she knew who and what she was, and where she truly belonged.

"Papa..." She whispered, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead before speaking again. "Please see me off with a smile on your face. And know that my heart will always be with you, now and forever."

And so, both father and daughter arrived on the shores of the beach, the girl's porcelain skin glowing under the light of the moon as she wore nothing but her seal skin. Her hair blew with the sea breeze, turning her head to smile at her loving father. She blew him a kiss, her eyes glittering with tears before she faced the ocean, taking her first steps into the cold waters. A pleasant gasp left her lips, feeling her body take shape into her seal form, a sorrowful cry leaving her before she dove into the vast depths of the ocean blue.