1. brown eyes

I wake up to the sun blaring in my eyes, 2 missed calls and my hair knotted from tossing and turning last night. I check my phone.

Missed call from Mom

Missed call from Mom (2)

I hit the power button to my phone and sigh as I reach up too open my blinds more. In the next moment I am full of regret, the sun is too bright, like it is every morning but it seems worse right now.

"Elowen! Get up you'll be late for work!" My mom yells. "Elo! I know you saw those calls!!"

My mom always calls me in the morning to wake me up. It's annoying but it works.

I mumble something under my breath that isn't important. I pass the bathroom, not looking up, avoiding the mirrors as usual. I hate how my body looks in the morning.

I reach the kitchen and make eye contact with my mom. "Morning Ma." I mutter.

"There's my ray of sunshine!" She beams, "You have about an hour until work. Get ready soon." She notes while kissing the side of my head.

I grab lemonade from the fridge, poor a glass then makes my way to my room. Everything mainly in boxes besides for some furniture.

Today is my last week before I move into my first apartment.

I struggle to get out of the t-shirt I'm wearing because I'm still groggy. Obviously not a morning person. I tug on my café's shirt with the logo on the back. Fixing my apron front to back, as well as putting my favorite high-rise work jeans on. I tie my hair back but keep my bangs out.

As I am slowly waking up, I glance at the time. 10:36 am. That's enough time to get to work, I'm pretty early.

A few minutes later I grab my bag, kiss my mom goodbye, lock the house door. I fumble for my car keys as I am headed to the driveway. Grasping the right key, I unlock the car doors and sit in the driver's seat. I start the car and head to work.

I park in my unclaimed-claimed parking spot. It's not really mine, but I think my coworkers know I rather die than park anywhere else. I walk through the café doors, being greeted by my boss. "Elowen Fields!" he smiles, "Just in time as always, head to the back and clock in. We need you at register." Denis is one of the more chill managers for sure. Very laid back, but sometimes he's too nice if you get where I'm coming from.

After I clock in and set my bag down in the break room, I head to the front counter to take the next customer in line.

"Welcome to Bean & Brew Café what can I get started for you today?" I smile softly, looking up I see the most beautiful brown eyes I've ever seen. They're so soft yet comforting.

"Oh yeah um, can I just get a mocha with vanilla syrup added" The customer asks, "And that'll be for here, miss."

"Alright, that will be $4.27, can I get a name for the order?" I smile gently trying not to stare too much.

"Wilbur" He reveals, smiling ever so slightly. "I'll pay with card if that's okay."

"That's totally fine! When the terminal lights up you can go ahead and insert, tap or swipe your card." I added

We finish the transaction and I reassure him that it will be out soon.

-----

I finish his mocha, write a smily face on his cup, and head up to the counter, satisfied with my smile on the cup for him. "I have that mocha for Wilbur!" I look around the café looking for someone to stand up. Out of the corner of my eye I see a tall, curly headed man with brown eyes head to where I am standing.

"Hi! Here's that mocha for you, it's a little warm to the touch so be careful!" I add on as he walks up to the counter. "Thank you! Your name is Elowen, right? I heard your coworker say it. I'll see you around!" He smiles softly, his eyes squint while he does so. I smile and nod as he begins to walk away. I like his eyes; I hope I see them again.

6 hours later, after a rather boring shift of making coffee after coffee, I finally get to go home. I head to the back to clock out, I take my apron off, roll it up then shove it my bag.

I wave to my coworkers as I head around the back to reach the employee parking lot. Fumbling for my keys in my bag, I open the driver's side door and start heading home.

When I finish parking in my mom's driveway, I get a phone call.

Incoming phone call from

'Peterson Place Apartments' ... Answer... Decline...

I answer the phone.

"Hi am I speaking with Elowen Fields?" A man asks on the other line.

"Yes, this is Elowen." I reply.

"Okay good! So, Ms. Fields, your apartment is ready a few days early if you would like to bring some of your personal belongings in today, we have your keys at the front office." He mentions

"Oh, this is perfect! I just got home from work! This is perfect timing, I'll head over in a minute, when do you close?" I smile in response.

"We close at 7pm so you have a bit before we close." He offers. "Well, we hope to see you soon Elowen! I am Jeremy Mose by the way."

"Nice to meet you Jeremy, yes I will see you soon" I confirmed.

I hang up and go inside to put my things down. No one's home at the moment. I greet my cat, Moose.

After changing out of my work clothes and getting into something more presentable. I fix up my makeup, and head to the door.

-----

Author's note:

𖥔 ݁ ˖𖦹⭒°。⋆

welcome to the first chapter of "Sore Eyes" I hope you enjoyed; the next chapter will be out later this week! ݁ ˖⭒°。⋆ leave a if you've enjoyed so far! I also don't mind criticism, if you find any mistakes or have any suggestions leave them :]

word count: 1026