Running Away

She knew that she was being followed, and every basic instinct in her body told her to run, to run for her life.

What she had seen was not supposed to befall her eyes. No one was supposed to see it; the sin defined as 'Bloodshed'. The clean cut from a knife, the hard metal cutting through a seemingly innocent man's throat, and the red liquid that still tainted her mind. She was in shock at first. Not realizing what she had seen in the narrow alley or what had happened to begin with. All she saw was red. And then, when the owner of the knife had turned around, his hands bloodied and his black bangs swaying lightly upon realizing her presence, she saw the color ebony in the otherwise black darkness; endless ebony predatory eyes that made shivers run down her spine.

She ran.

The sound of her shoes clacking against the hard stone road made panic fill her being, while the narrow streets only seemed to go on endlessly; never showing her mercy or any hopes of an escape. Was her fate to die in those black streets? Where the light would never touch her face again?

She tried to calm her breathing while she ran, but it was hopeless. The panic urged fresh air into her lounges faster and faster; hard heavy breaths that made her throat sore and her chest rise in a rapid motion.

She knew that he could hear her. Her heavy breath, the clacking of her shoes, and she knew that an escape wouldn't be an option. Even though she didn't know who this man was, or his motives for doing what he had done, Lucy knew that mercy couldn't possibly exist in his ebony predator-like eyes. He couldn't be human; she was not running from a man, she was running from a monster.

She tried to run in all sorts of directions, turning sharply at every possible corner, but she simply felt his presence draw closer. It was like nothing she had ever felt before; a heavy sensation similar to that of being pushed under water. Her senses went numb, the sound of her breathing and the sound of her shoes disappeared, and it was cold- ice cold. For a moment, she wondered if the feeling was like the breath of death, but she quickly realized that, that was not the case.

He was simply there; in the darkness of the alley with her.

Unable to accept her fate, she turned again at another sharp corner, but defeat slowly began to weigh her down when she realized that she had run into her own deathtrap; a dead end.

Her hands tried to find comfort by clutching at the soft fabric of her shirt, just at her chest, but it only made her more frightened. She could feel and hear her own heartbeat; resounding in her ear like the constant reminder that she was still alive. But how long would that last? How many minutes, or second for that matter, would she still be able to feel the center of her life beating in her chest?

Trembling in defeat, she turned her back against the nearest wall; the hard and cold surface at the back of her head felt oddly soothing. And she needed it, because she could hear him now. The echoing sound of his footsteps filled every inch of her being and she forced her breathing to slowly calm down. She was ready for him.

He stepped out from the dark; his figure proud and straight, the bloodied hands hidden in the depths of his pockets, the black locks of hair framing his pale face perfectly, and the ebony predator-like eyes calm. If she didn't know better, she would have called him beautiful.

At first, he didn't speak. He simply looked at her, while he approached her with slow steady steps. Lucy wanted to escape those deep ebony eyes that seemed to go on endlessly. But whenever she gathered the courage to look away, her eyes automatically turned back towards him again. She knew that he was a killer; she knew that she was doomed, but even so she couldn't help but feel fascinated by those eyes.

She wondered... Was he the angel of death?

"S-stay back!" She tried to sound firm and brave, but her voice just sounded frightened. She pushed her back further against the wall; naively thinking that perhaps, if she pushed hard enough, the bricks would magically suck her into safety.