Chapter 1

Outside it was raining with lightning clashing and the thunder rumbling in the distance. The fire crackled in the fire place, the light casting a shadow on all the objects in the room. Snuggled on the couch under a quilt, I read my Sherlock Holmes book with my dog, Smith, on my lap and my cat, Meatball, curled up by the fire.

My breath intensified as I read a suspenseful scene when lightning clashed and I jumped, terrified. Smith was dropped to the floor and Meatball jumped and ran under the sofa.

"Oh, I'm sorry boy." I said, patting my lap for Smith to hop back on. He did so, but this time only laying his head on my lap. I chuckled and bent over to check on Meatball.

When I saw he was fine as well, I went back to reading but something in the back of my mind was preventing me from falling back into my story, telling me something was off. Pausing, I strained my ears to try and listen past the thunder and lightning.

After another moment, I heard it.

Throwing off my quilt, I ran to the door, shoving on my boots and a raincoat, rushing out. Smith stood behind me, barking while Meatball jumped to the window to watch.

It was dark out, seeing as it was almost the middle of the night, and the only light provided was the candles and lanterns flickering from the windows in the village and the occasional flash of lightning.

Hearing the noise again, I took off I'm running in that direction, which lead me to the woods. After a few more minutes of running, I ran right into a skeleton, knocking both of us off our feet.

I hit my head hard on the ground so when I opened my eyes my vision was kinda blurry but I could see the skeleton standing over me, bow raised.

He drew the string back but, before he could release it, I kicked him in the knee, then in the head before I stumbled to my feet and hid behind a tree. The lightning flashed brightly over the sky and the thunder was louder then ever but the light helped me spot a tree branch only a few feet away, about the size of a sword.

I reached to grab mine when I realized I left it in the house. Sighing, I grabbed the branch and peeked around the tree. The skeleton, it's back facing to me, was looking around trees to find me. Creeping up behind it, I swung the branch and knocked the head clean off it's shoulders.

Looking around, I took off in the direction I was running before I ran into the skeleton. After another fee minutes of running, I slowed down, listening. Ahead of me, there were the sounds of zombie groans and skeleton bones. (I just realized that rhymed 🤣)

Up ahead, I saw a ring of skeletons and zombie, all surrounding a man on a horse. Raising my branch, I creeped forward until I stood directly behind them, the nauseating smell of rotting flesh filling my nose.

Taking I deep breath, I let me fear, anger, and determination take control, and swung.

                                       + + +

A/N:
Alright peeps, chapter one is out. I literally finished this riding home from my youth group class.
What do you guys think?
And why are the mobs circling one lone man?
You'll find out next chapter 😁
Or will you??? Mwahaha
Until next time, byeee
Word count: 588

-GingerCat_05