Prologue

"Rohan? I've heard he's quite good-looking."

"Really? I don't think I've seen him before."

"Is that so? I've heard he's been locked up in the duke's main estate to prepare for war."

"Oh, really now? How long?"

"Hm...I'm guessing 1 week or so. After all, the war is coming up soon. But...I'm not sure why I don't seem to remember his face...I do remember seeing him at a social event or two."

"You mean the crown prince's birthday banquet? That's a no brainer. Of course he'd attend."

"Yeah, of course, but I just can't seem to recall seeing him anywhere else..."

"That event was 2 years ago! Of course we wouldn't remember his face. How about his age? Do you know of that?"

"Well...he should be having his 18th birthday soon. Although...I'm not sure if the duke will be celebrating it."

"Why not? He celebrated Rich's 18th birthday, and Regina's birthday is celebrated in a grand manner each year. I don't see why he wouldn't celebrate Rohan's birthday."

"Well...Rich was born as a natural talent, Susan. Everybody was astonished at his incredible swordsmanship. After all, he's acquainted with the crown prince! His daughter, Regina, also doesn't lack. She's a fashion inspiration for all noble ladies. But...Rohan himself isn't exactly amazing. What has he achieved?"

"Yes...honestly, I only found out he existed at the crown prince's 18th birthday anyway."

"Exactly! Clearly, the duke is embarrassed of him. He won't show his face around, and he has kept him hidden away long enough. This is because Rohan is a nobody!"

"Then who would say he's good-looking?"

"There are many rumors about his looks. In fact, the most popular is that he looks like some treacherous beast. Now they're switching it up."

"Well...if the duke won't show his face, he probably is very much ugly."

"He's probably sending him off to war to finally rid of his disgraceful and hideous child."

"Hm."

As the two ladies sipped tea and chatted in the popular cafe, a man came up to them. He wore a cloak, but that didn't hide his defined muscles and lean build.

The cloak only covered his eyes. From just his lower face, anybody could tell how handsome he was.

"Ah, sorry to bother you ladies, but all the seats are full. May I sit with you?" His deep voice instantly enchanted those two.

They quickly agreed and got him sat down.

"So, what were the two of you talking about?"

"Oh, Rohan."

"Rohan?"

"Duke Dreige's second child? Second son?"

"...I wasn't aware of a second son."

"He was at the crown prince's 18th birthday banquet. Did you not attend?"

"Oh no, I did. I guess I just...didn't spot him."

Susan, one of the ladies, interrupted, "haha! I still remember seeing a figure shying away behind the pillar. I'm guessing that was him."

The cloaked man chuckled.

"Ladies, ladies. Does the crown prince know of him?" He folded his muscular arms, showing his attention was all on them. The girls felt as if a spell was being cast upon them as they drooled at the sight.

"Well...the crown prince should know him. Even if he doesn't, Rohan will be sent out to war anyway. They'll eventually meet regardless."

"..."

The cloaked man only smiled.

Then, he got up and swiftly turned away. The door to the bakery was loudly heard as he left with anger in every step he took.

[end of prologue.]