Chapter 1

*Detailed talk of periods and tampons*

I was thirteen years old when I finished Med School and now I am fifteen  and starting my first year of residency at Seattle Grace Hospital in Seattle. They were the only hospital willing to take on a fifteen year old resident, but I did excellent on my boards so they obviously have some reassurance that I am actually a good doctor. It still feels strange starting my first year of residency at 15 when most people will be over 22. And I will be an attending before most people are allowed to drink. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

I get dressed into my scrubs before finding my way into the ER were I am on Doctor Hunt's service. I'm really nervous about making a good first impression as I could really see myself specialising in Trauma when I am an attending, and if Doctor Hunt hates me that won't exactly be a great start. I feel like I am good at acting quickly and making the best choices for patients while under time pressure.

"Hello Doctor Hunt, I'm one of the new Residents, Doctor Y/L/N and I'm on your service today." I said introducing myself.

"Y/L/N don't be expecting any special treatment because you are new around here," Doctor Hunt repiled, "follow me and hurry up about it we have lives to save."

I followed him out to the ambulance and to our first patient of the day. The ambulance crew briefed us quickly on the details of the patient before we moved them into a room to stabilise them and to fully a analyse their condition. Then Doctor Hunt concluded that the patient needed surgery, so I prepped the patient for surgery. Before finding my way to the OR to scrub in for Surgery.

The surgery was going well the patient was stable Doctor Hunt was getting all work done that he needed to until he asked me to change sides to assist him. And when I moved he stared at me for a couple of seconds sliently before speaking.

"Doctor Y/L/N, do you think it's appropriate to bleed in my OR, this is a sanitary space?" Doctor Hunt asked.

"No sir," I answered very embarrassed.

"Get out of my OR and get it sorted, I don't want you back until you are clean!" He shouted.

I ran out of the OR bining my mask and throwing my scrub cap into the wash basket. I ran into the bathroom and to my luck the machine had no pads left. Great I wasted my money and it has no pads. I though about just using toilet paper but then I would have the risk of bleeding through again. I decided to try a tampon, something that I had never done before, and I didn't even have a clue how to do it. I fell down on to the floor of the cubicle in tears.

It's my first day and I got my fucking period in the OR and I just messed up my chances of ever being on the good side of Doctor Hunt. I might as well just give up on my chances of ever being a Trauma Attending right now. If Hunt doesn't like me I won't be able to progress in that field under his guidance. But then someone else came into the bathroom, I tried to stop crying but they had already heard me.

"Hey whoever is in there, you can come out I won't judge you I promise," She said kindly.

I pulled myself off the floor and I stood up before unlocking the door just enough so I could see the tall red head standing a couple of metres away from me. She seemed older and wasn't wearing scrubs so I am assuming that she must be one of the attendings here. She looked kind but I was still uncertain about leaving the safety of my cubicle.

"I promise it's okay, whatever is the problem I will help you to the best of my ability," She said reassuringly giving me a small smile.

I took a deep breath before opening the cubicle door and stepping out. Getting ready for her to probably laugh at me and judge me for my stupidity. I can just imagine her and Hunt making fun of me. But she doesn't, she doesn't even snigger at me. She looks at me with a face of understanding and speaks again.