Kinda Short Stories (Volume1)

Celeste sat on the end of the bed, her head hung low as she stared unblinkingly at her phone screen. Impatiently waiting for typing bubbles to appear. Her previous messages that were sent weeks ago went unanswered and unread by Tristian; the one she thought was it. She felt dejected and confused. Everything seemed great between them. It started platonic and blossomed into something beautiful. But now, silence.

"Hey are you busy tonight?" - 3 weeks ago
"You've been MIA lately, you okay?"- 2 weeks ago
"Tristian, did I do something wrong?"- 5 minutes ago

Nothing.

She locked her phone, grabbed her iPod and earphones and began wondering the house. It was unlike him to up and disappear. She thought the worst, refusing to believe he was the one of those guys. The one that made you feel special until they got what they wanted, then push you aside to find something new. He couldn't be. They've known each other for 2 years before they even became intimate. They even discussed their dream wedding but now, it appeared that he meant separately. Regardless of their shared passions, she wasn't the one for him.

He seemed to only be active on Facebook but not much of any Life Updates. Or maybe he had her on the "Everyone Except..." setting. Her mind raced as she mindlessly cleaned around the house trying to take her mind off what's-his-face.

          [Two Weeks Later]
Celeste had spent her day off "resetting". For once she ate breakfast at a breakfast time. She took private swimming lessons at the community center, and got a full body hot stone massage. This was by far the best she's felt, mentally, in a long while. Little did she know, it wouldn't last long. As she was leaving the Ground Up Café with her iced latte, a golden retriever ran into her. Literally. Luckily she had a firm grip on her cup but a bit did spill on it's head. " Cooper! Oh my God I'm so sorry." A lady spoke as she tugged the leash for the dog to move. "No worries, I love dogs." Celeste smiled as she turned to speak to the owner while reaching for a napkin. She couldn't control the drop of her greeting smile when she noticed Tristian standing behind the lady. He looked just as surprised. She turned her attention back to Cooper and began wiping his head with the napkin. "Aw, you didn't have to do that." The woman laughed as she rubbed her belly. Thats when Celeste realized she was pregnant. At least 6 months. "That's really nice of you." Tristian said like a bad actor, Cooper licking her hand that held the latte as she cleaned him. Either in a way to thank her or to get a taste of whatever smelled so sweet. Celeste stood up, the napkin clenched in her hand like an unnecessary parking ticket. "Good day now." Celeste spoke, her smile returning briefly before walking away the best she could. She felt the knots in her back coming back, as her blood boiled with embarrassment. The back of her eyeballs burned with resentment but she held it all together. When she got a few blocks away, she came across a trash can. Right as she got ready to toss the napkin, she paused. She stared at the latte-spotted napkin for a moment, balled it up, and shoved it in her pocket.

[10pm]

Celeste was readying herself for bed when she got an alert on her phone.

                                 Tristian- "Hey..."
She stared at her phone blankly, no emotions present. She felt numb. Cold. She put him on "Do Not Disturb", wanting the satisfaction of knowing he was reaching out so she could ignore him, and not the other way  around. She turned off her lamp, cozied up in bed, and fought the urge to look at her phone again to see if he sent another text.

Tristian yawned as he sat at the table in front of the bowl Kennedi had placed down. "Did you want something else for breakfast?" She asked, rubbing her belly where the baby had kicked. "No..." he said grabbing her hand to sit beside him. "... I love apples and cinnamon. You know it's the best one." He smiled before digging in the oatmeal. Kennedi looked exhausted. She sighed at least twice since she sat down. "Are you feeling okay?" Tristian asked, concerned. "Yes..."  she nodded, tiredly. "...the baby has been kicking me so much lately. I still have 2 months to go before his introduction." Tristian's eyes lit up. "Or her." Kennedi added with a laugh. " I don't know, my love. I have a feeling it's a girl." "It's a boy. Even you said it." Tristian teased, obviously hoping for a junior. "It's universal to say he." She protested. "Nowadays, that's considered discrimination." He rolled his eyes.