take-off

(before we start:

i want to say that i wrote this out of my own "fantasies", so it isn't supposed to sound poetic, neither did i want to write it in a good way. Just an easy storyline to think yourself into and make it as fun/interesting/good/... as possible. - note: english isnt my mother tongue but yeah pop off ig

have fun reading🤍)

———————————

5:26 am

I'm looking out of the tiny window on my left, watching the beautiful sunrise in peace. The plane is supposed to land in 25 minutes and the majority of the people on board are still asleep. I should be too, but I'm nervous. This is my first time flying to a different country without my family, all alone.

As I was about to take a picture of the sunrise, the plane made a short but jerkily movement, which woke everyone up in shock. The pilot didn't say anything for the next couple minutes, which I was worried about. Maybe we were flying through a turbulent area, which they didn't detect beforehand, so it was all fine. But then there comes the announcement:

„May I have your attention, please. This is the captain speaking. Our aircraft has been taken by some people who demand that their orders be followed. I request that all passengers keep seated with their seatbelts fastened. I ask you to keep calm and not react. For safety of this flight, it is essential that you carry out these instructions accordingly. We will find a favourable solution for all. I'll keep you informed of the situation. Thank you for the attention."

The situation was anything but calm at the moment. Everyone was scared, so was I. This plane was hijacked and no one knew in that moment, if we would make it out alive. I looked around me to see all the terrified faces, I could hear some people crying, some are taking out their phones to contact their loved ones and some were praying. But to my surprise there were also some people, who were actually calm and having their eyes closed. The old man who was sitting next to me started recording the inside of the plane with a camera and shove it in my face, recording me.

Suddenly there were two men, both were armed and had their face covered with masks. Well now it got silent and tense.

„This plane will not arrive at the destination, until every single person here takes out their valuables and put them all in these bag."

Another two men came from the other side of the plane, collecting everything from the passengers, beginning in the last rows of the plane. An older woman had to give away her pearl necklace from her late husband, this world is messed up.

I started to panic and tried to hide as much of my valuables as possible. I put my gold earrings and necklace into my bra, I took my ID and credit card out of the wallet, which now has only 50 € left in it but in that moment I didn't care about losing them. I put the phone and my cards in the back pockets of my pants, because luckily I decided to take my long coat with me which will cover these pockets.

„You can't take what belongs to others." I heard a deep voice behind my seat out of sudden, he wasn't scared about dying huh? It got silent and i started to breath deeply, he made the whole situation worse.

„Excuse me?" - „I said, you can't take items and valuables, which belong to others. Do I need to be more precise about what I just said or will you-„ he got cut off by the woman sitting next to him, whispering: „Carter, please sit down and give him your stuff, we'll get it back."

I was so scared to turn around, even though I really wanted to know who these people were.

„Exactly, Carter, give me your stuff, you will get it back." the man said to him in a rough voice, sounding more sarcastic than serious and chuckles.

I could feel the guy tense up, but I was too stressed to think about it all right now. The man was now here and wanted to collect our items. I gave him my wallet and said that's it. „I'm sure you got more than that.. where's your phone?" I was all nervous and acted like I was going through my bag to search my phone, knowing it was in my back pocket. The old man next to me touches my arm secretly and gave me an old button cell phone. I put it in the bag without hesitation. The man rolled his eyes and moved on to the next row.

„Thank you sir, I'll get it back as soon as I can. Why did you help me?" I asked in confusion. He smiled „It's not important to me to lose a phone, compared to you young people, also I wanted to get rid of that piece for a while now." I smiled back but I still felt uncomfortable by the whole situation.

10 minutes later

„Dear passengers, may I inform you that due to anonymous reasons, our arrival in Boston Logan Airport has changed to JFK - New York Kennedy airport with another 20 minutes to go. For further questions please ask our cabin crew. Thank you."

I let out a loud gasp, how was I supposed to get back to Boston? I've never been to the United States before and boom, the plane has not only been hijacked but we're also arriving somewhere completely different.

These are gonna be the worst few months abroad.

After we finally arrived, I made my way to the baggage claim quickly, hoping that at least my luggage was safe. The people i flew with made a meeting point, waiting for an answer from the employees about there stuff.

"That was the worst flight in my whole life!" she let out a loud sigh and covered her face with her hands. It was the woman, who stopped the guy from making more trouble.
"They can't be far away" he said. "I'm sure the crew cabin made sure there were many security guards by the time we landed, we will get our stuff back."
"Yeah but that's not what i'm talking about, Carter." she looked at him like she was about to cry. "We were lucky that these men didn't do anything, don't you remember.." she whispered "the terrorist attacks?"
"You're crazy, Ciara" he laughs and while he was grabbing into his back pocket, realizing that he had given away his phone.
Ciara looks around and asks the group if anyone would still have a phone. I knew I was the only one and offered her mine: "Here, you can use it"
"Thank you so much, ..?" she looked at me. "It's Sevda." I smiled.

"What a weird name." Carter chuckled.
"Stop, I think it's beautiful, I never heard of it before. I'm Ciara by the way, it's nice to meet you!" she said while dialing a number. "Nuce to meet you too and um yeah it's not a common name here in America I su-"
"Yeah no shit." he keeps cutting me off. And after this sign i kept my mouth shut and waited for her to finish her stuff.

"Thank you so much" she answered and added: "Are you from Boston too?" - "Oh no I'm not from here, I'm from europe."
"Woah that's cool, well have fun in America." she laughs and whispers something in my ear: "You're lucky that the plane landed in New York, it's amaziiiiing here." She smiled and walked away with her luggage and Carter.

I didn't know how to feel about that. It's a scary feeling to be completely lost, however, I tried to stay positive. It would've been way worse if I was in the same situation but in China for example.

... It's 1 pm and I decided to go to a coffee shop nearby. Starbucks was the only one I was familiar with so I went in there.
After I sat down I started to plan my day here. If I'm already in NYC once, then i better not waste it with sitting in a corner at the airport and cry.
But New York is so big and i definitely can't see everything in one day, I planned on coming back here in the next few months to see it all, so the only clever thing to do now is just walk around a bit near the airport and look around to get a first expression.

It wasn't quite easy to walk with two suitcases through an endless and full crowd of people but it was making me happy, my inner child was happy. I dreamt of traveling a lot, and NYC was on top of the Have-To-See-list I made, which I obviously have with me.

While walking I bumped into someone because I wasn't paying attention to the road, instead I was looking at my phone, which I was holding weirdly already because both of my hands were full.

"Put that phone down before I do it for you."