The sun that wept

"The sun is my undoing."

Icarus sighed to the sky. Night dark as the sea, he stared into the endless void.

His arms wrapped around him, cradling himself to hide from the misery of his mind and the coldness of the breeze.

His heart riddled as it could be, tried to give him notice of the new presence.

A warm blanket of bright colors that he could see even when his eyelids remained stubbornly closed.

—Here again?—With a voice as soft as velvet, Apollo walked closer to the man who turned his head away from him so adamantly. —Icarus.

—I have nowhere else to go, have I?— He, as sour as he could sound, sneered at the God.  

—I meant outside in this air. It is cold, can't you feel it?

—No. No, I cannot.— Icarus shook his head ignoring the shivers that made his eyes fill with shame. He had been discovered.

—Humans are frailer than many other creatures. Do not let your ego fool you.—

—...I cannot sleep inside.— He whispered, too embarrassed to see the reaction of the god that already knew the truth.

—You fear him.— Apollo stated.

—I fear his ambition. That much is true.—

—Are you not of ambitious nature, Icarus? How can you fear the very thing that has kept you sane?—

—Nothing has made the madness arise in me. I doubt there ever will be something I love strong enough to do so.

—And someone?

—How could it be? I am alone. My father has his machines, and I am alone.

—You have me.— Apollo said as an obvious truth.

—...I will have to die before I ever get to touch you.

—You have me, Icarus.— He whispered, hurt by his hopelessness.

Icarus sighed once again, body heavy but mind restless. He rested on the cold stone to admire the holy home of the god that now was beside him. 

The stars shone brightly above them, and Apollo smiled. The only time he could ever see such an expectacle, was not when he stood high in the morning sky, but when he lay beside his lover. 

—I will die here once nature strikes or my father grows mad enough to push me over the edge.— Icarus whispered in a fearful resolution.

—So you do fear him.

—I cannot help it. I do not want to, but I cannot help it. 

—What he did to Talos was vile.

—...If I'm lucky enough maybe Athena will be merciful as I fall, and then I could too fly between the heavens and the earth.

—I will never allow him to push you, Icarus.

—Then I will never leave here. This tower is my grave. Even now as I speak of it.