A Pact Made

Bobby, with nearly three decades of experience in the field, had witnessed countless heart-stopping moments during his firefighting career. As the captain of Station 118, he had seen fires, accidents, and disasters of all kinds. However, nothing had shaken him to his core quite like the day when Buck had almost been taken from him. It felt akin to experiencing the loss of another one of his children.

It had been a year since that fateful day when lightning had struck Buck while they were responding to a rescue call. Buck was on the ladder when the lightning bolt came out of nowhere, causing his heart to stop. The deafening roar of thunder seemed to halt the world. Bobby could still recall the fear and desperation he felt as he rushed to Buck's side, praying that his young firefighter was still alive. He had to witness Buck's life slip away for three agonizing minutes before medical intervention revived him. Those three minutes were the most harrowing of his life.

Miraculously, Buck had survived, but it had been a close call. He had been in a coma for days, and the doctors weren't sure if he would ever wake up. Throughout it all, Bobby kept a constant vigil at Buck's bedside, clutching rosary beads and fervently praying for his son's recovery. He only moved when Athena insisted or when it was absolutely necessary. Eventually, Buck woke up, recovered through months of grueling physical therapy and rehabilitation, and managed to get back on his feet to rejoin the team.

For that, Bobby had been thankful every day since, grateful for the second chance they'd been given. He couldn't bear the thought of losing Buck, his surrogate son. Buck had been his protege, but their relationship had transcended the boundaries of mentor and mentee. They had grown close as a father and son, becoming the resilient backbone of the firehouse. Buck was known for his audacious rescues, often pushing the limits without a second thought. This propensity frequently resulted in injuries and repeated hospital stays, a perpetual source of worry for Bobby. In their world, they had coined the phrase "Buck being Buck" or "going full Buck" to describe his daring actions. The entire team, including Bobby, had come to accept it, not only because they had no other choice but also because they understood that Buck's actions, no matter how dangerous or impulsive, always stemmed from his caring nature. Buck cared deeply, and they had embraced and adapted to that truth.

One evening after a busy shift responding to several emergency calls, Bobby intended to have a conversation with Buck. Nothing, however, had prepared him for the day he made a life-changing pact with the man he loved and cared for like his own. After a brief stop in the locker room to freshen up, Bobby headed to the roof of the firehouse in search of Buck.

When he reached the roof, he scanned the open area until his gaze settled on Buck, who was sitting in a recliner, sipping coffee while overlooking the bustling city of Los Angeles. With unwavering determination, Bobby approached Buck, his voice tinged with deep concern.

"Buck, we need to talk," Bobby said, his gaze locked with Buck's, his tone firm but filled with concern. He couldn't bear the thought of losing Buck to his own recklessness.
Buck, taken aback by Bobby's serious tone, raised an eyebrow, and his blue eyes, reflecting the city lights, shifted to look into his coffee cup. "Uh, okay, yeah, sure, what's up, Cap?"

"I can't go through that again, Evan," Bobby continued, his voice quivering with emotion. "I can't lose you, not after what we went through."

Buck's eyes softened, realizing just how deeply his captain cared for him. "I don't want to put you through that, Bobby. You know I'd never do anything to hurt you intentionally."

Bobby nodded. "I know, Buck, but sometimes you push yourself too hard. You take too many risks. We need you here, in one piece. I need you."

"I... I know what I'm doing, Bobby. Taking risks is part of the job," Buck responded, his brows furrowed as he contemplated Bobby's words.

Bobby's voice turned firm but still laced with concern. "I get that, Buck. But as your fire captain and the one responsible for the team, I'm concerned about your recent actions."

Buck, now a bit exasperated, remained silent.

Bobby continued, "You're like a son to me, Evan. I can't bear to see you getting hurt again. I can't keep losing sleep over you putting yourself in danger."

The incident from the previous year remained vivid in both of their memories, and it had been an incredibly trying time for the entire team, especially for Bobby. Shuddering at the memory of the incident that had struck him, Buck took a moment to compose himself.

"Cap, I appreciate where you're coming from. But what do you want me to do? I can't possibly give up firefighting just because I'm scared of getting hurt. I need this job, and I love this job. We've been through this, remember the lawsuit?"

Bobby's eyes bore into Buck's. "But... you died. For three minutes that night."

The thought of his own death hung in the air, and Buck's face went blank as he absorbed the weight of those words before quickly regaining his composure. He cleared his throat. "Yeah, but I made it back to life, and I'm not gonna waste it. If anything, my death makes me feel like I've been given a second chance at life."

Bobby took a deep breath and spoke with an uncharacteristically softer tone. "I'm glad that you're not taking this second chance at life for granted. I've been there, and I get that. But you've had more close calls than I can count in all the years you've been under me. So, all I'm asking is for you to be careful."
"I'll be more careful. I promise. I won't take any more big risks. You can count on me. But Bobby, please understand that saving lives is the only way I know how to live. I don't want to do anything else," Buck said.

Bobby nodded and remained silent for a moment as he considered his next words carefully. His next sentence carried the weight of his love and concern for the younger firefighter. "Let's make a pact."

"A pact? What kind of pact?" A look of surprise crossed Buck's face, intrigued by Bobby's request.

Bobby took another deep breath, knowing that the next words were a heavy topic for him to address. "You've seen me struggle with my sobriety over the years. You've seen how tough it has been for me, and I know how worried you are about it." He paused and looked into Buck's eyes.

"Okay, go ahead, I'm listening," Buck replied, remaining focused and attentive, although unsure of what Bobby was suggesting.

Bobby continued, "If you promise me that you'll come back to the station in one piece every time and not get yourself injured or, worse, killed, I'll stay sober. No more drinking, no more drowning my sorrows. You and I, we'll have each other's backs. It's time that I kick this addiction for good. Deal?"

Bobby had always been the reliable pillar of strength for Station 118. His calm demeanor and unwavering dedication had made him the go-to-guy for everyone on the team. But behind that facade, a hidden battle raged within him—a battle with alcoholism. His struggle with alcohol had started when he first broke his back during his firefighting days in St. Paul, Minnesota. For years, he had tried to find relief from the pain, but nothing helped, leading him to rely heavily on alcohol. His struggle took a darker turn when he lost his first family in an apartment fire, pushing him to a breaking point. Overwhelmed by grief, his addiction deepened, and he began using alcohol as his sole source of comfort and an escape from reality. However, everything had changed when he relocated to Los Angeles and found his new family, with Buck becoming one of the key pillars of support.

Buck was taken aback by the serious proposition and thought for a moment. His brows furrowed as he considered his choices and the impact of his decisions. "Deal. I won't get hurt again, and you agree to stay sober. You don't have to fight this battle alone, Cap. I'll always be your wingman."

And so, the two men shook hands, sealing the pact that would hopefully keep them both safe. So, all they could do now was hope for the best.