I know about the cereal.

You wake up to the sounds of your morning alarm clock, gradually beginning to come to your senses as the noise grows louder and louder. Slowly but surely, you become fully awake, your eyes cracking open and your mind becoming focused on the task at hand: waking up for the day. You get out of bed and walk down the hall to the kitchen, still rubbing sleep from your eyes.

It's an average morning like any other, but today, you were hungry. Really hungry.

Once you reach the kitchen, you reach for a box of Froot Loops on the counter, a bowl and a spoon. However, something seems to be off. The box feels much lighter than usual...

You sighed. Was it empty?

You opened the box up and peered inside. Thankfully, there was some cereal left. Thank god. You really didn't have the time to cook something up, so you were thankful there was still cereal left.

After confirming there was cereal to be eaten, you turned to your fridge and grabbed a carton of milk to have with the cereal. Bringing the carton onto the counter next to the bowl, you carefully unscrew the cap and lift the carton, making sure not to spill any milk.

Milk soon poured out of the container, the creamy white liquid filling your bowl to the brim. You smiled and then reached for the box of Froot Loops, pouring them into the bowl along with the milk.

You poured milk before the cereal into the bowl. It seems... wrong?

The cereal floats around in the milk for a bit. It looks fine, but something is off. The milk to cereal ratio feels wrong, but you can't quite put your finger on why.

It's just not the same, you know? Like, pouring the cereal on top, the milk soaks into the cereal and makes it all nice and soggy like it's supposed to. Pouring the milk first does it in a weird way you can't really describe, but you just know it's wrong.

You feel a burning sensation in your nose as though someone is staring a hole right through your face. You turn and look at the window and there's a face pressed up against the glass as they stare you down. How did they get up here? You blinked a few times, trying to make sense of the situation, but the moment you opened your eyes again, the face was gone.

You're starting to worry, your mouth dry, your heart racing. You close the blinds to the window and try to shut out the ominous feeling that fills you, but it only worsens. You can feel someone's gaze boring into your head as you lean closer to the window. Someone or something was definitely watching, you could feel it.

As you gazed out the window, you heard a soft knock at your door. Something seems strange about it, though. It's not a normal knock, it's more like a light tap-tap-tap, like they're trying to be subtle. You walk to the door and look through the peephole. There's nothing there, even though you could swear you heard something. You open the door.

Nothing.

There is nothing in sight. But you can still feel it, whatever it is, its gaze on you. You stand in the open doorway, searching for what's watching you. Nothing there. You start to walk away when your eyes catch something. A folded piece of paper on the floor. You pick it up, unfold it.

You take a deep breath to brace yourself for what you might read. It's written in a thin, flowing script.

"I know about the cereal"

⇐ To be Continued