P R O L O G U E

It was a cold day in Chennai

It was a cold day in Chennai. It's always cold during November month. But today, the sky seems way too darker than usual, it's full of dark and grumpy clouds.

It's almost past 4.O clock. The road was busy with people who are returning from their work and children returning from their school with their parents.

The traffic was heavy and almost every person prayed to God each minute to solve the traffic as soon as possible, so that they could go home quickly before drenching themselves in the rain. Everyone looked angry, checking the sky each minute, except a little boy who was lying underneath the front of a closed store.

The boy must be atleast 16 years old. His clothes are old and torned in multiple places. They are way too large for him.

He looks like he has not eaten anything for years. He is very thin and fragile like a glass. He might break if anyone touch him.

His face looks empty, like he doesn't care about anything. He don't care that his clothes are torn or his hair is over grown. He don't care that he is homeless and been hungry for days. He doesn't care that the sky looks angry and it might break into rain.

He just wants to die. He wants relief from the emptiness he feels. He has no more strength to fight in this cruel world.

He looked at the sky and tried to sit straight. he pushed the ground using his weak and bony hands for support, but they gave away the moment he tried to rise from the floor.

A lonely rain drop touched his forehead One by one, the rain started to pour heavily. He tried to sit again but he couldn't. Tears started to pour from his eyes like the rain from the sky.They are heavy and filled with sadness.

One last try he thought and tried to sit again and this time he managed to sit.

His tears mixed with the rain as he cried his eyes out. He looked at a shattered glass bottled beside him and took one of them.

He took a one last breath before pressing them against his wrist. But he don't know what is coming for him. He don't know that he is lucky untill then. He doesn't know that an angel will meet him at that exact moment.

He felt a tap on his shoulder and looked at the sourse. He saw a cute chubby girl in her school uniform who might be 12 year old tapping him on his shoulder with a cute smile.

He don't know what to do. He looked a little shocked as she handed him a heavy tiffin box. He didn't budge as he continuously looked at her. So the little girl raised her eyebrows telling him take the box.

He looked at the box again and motioned his head no. The little girl was devastated. As she dont like brinjal curry she didn't eat her lunch, she thought she could escape from her parents scoldings for not eating by giving this to this boy, also this boy looks like so poor. So she thought it could be a win win situation.

But now her plan became useless as he refused her food. She looked so sad and turned around to leave while clutching her umbrella strongly.

The boy noticed her sudden change of reaction and hold her hand to not let her go. It was the first time someone has been kind to him. So he don't want to upset her. He took the tiffin from her and looked at the ground.

The little girl smiled at victory. She also noticed that he didn't eat but playing with a broken glass pieces.

"My mom said glass pieces are dangerous and if we don't eat our food, monsters will tie us." The little girl said that in her small cute voice.

The boy was mesmorised by her both cuteness and kindness. "Then why didn't you eat your food." He asked her.

The little girl gave him a sheepish expression and laughed saying she didn't like brinjal. Overloaded by her cuteness
The boy couldn't help but smile at her.

That the first time in several years he has smiled. And it felt good for him

"You look beautiful when you smile." The little girl said while poking his cheeks with her index finger.

No one has said something like this to him, and he don't know how to response to that compliment.

"Nila. Come here." They both heard the angry voice of a school bus conducter.

She hissed in hurry and ran towards her school bus before the boy can stop her.

That's when he noticed that she escaped from her school bus without the conductor noticing her in traffic.

He really want to see her again. She gives him a sense of comfort, it made him forget about all his worries and he was able to at least smile.

His heart grew heavy, the moment he couldn't see her school bus.

Disappointed that he couldn't talk to her for a while he looked at the ground. Something shimmery glimed. He reached for the object and found that it was an anklet. It was a small silver anklet with small bells in one place at the hook.

He smiled seeing the ankle and clutched it strongly pressing against his heart, "at least now I have a reason to live so that I can give this back to her and see her again.", he thought thinking about her.

", he thought thinking about her