1

I hung up my hairnet, relieved to be at the end of my 12 hour shift. Apart from a quick 30 minutes to gulp down some canteen slop, I hadn't stopped working since 7am this morning. The steady chug of machinery still rang in my ears. Everyone else hustled around me, voices calling out plans for the evening and goodbyes. I ducked my head, trying to make myself smaller. Punching the combination into my locker, (24464) I grabbed my coat, pulling the flimsy faux leather over my slight frame. The smell of oranges briefly outweighed the overpowering stench that clings to the recycling centre as I shook out my ginger curls. Ugh. The knots would need untangling again tonight. Quickly, I tied my veil around it.

Stepping out of the beige factory, the lights and noise of the slums assaulted my senses. Neon strips blared adverts in a variety of colours. Some idiot slammed into my side, nearly pushing me into the grimy street as I slipped on a patch of ice. Cars whizzed by, spilling exhaust that left a low gray cloud and polluted the air. Tall buildings climbed towards the upper levels of the city. I sighed. I could feel mud and grime coat my face, although the people surging around me must look just as bad.

Flexing my bandaged hands I felt blood seep into the grey strips. Wincing, I pulled the fabric tighter. My skin looked purple under the artificial light of the motel I stood under. Fast music trickled out, the latest rap song.
"Get us out the factories!" A masculine voice to my left called. The noise caused me to glance up but I quickly ducked my head. Sooner or later, L.I.V.E.'s Peaceforce would turn up and arrest him, and whoever he was working with. People go missing all the time in lower Archai. No one notices. Or cares. Each for their own here.

Turning the corner into a grimy side street, I thought about what it would be like to get out of here. To be one of the elite Regia. Live in one of the penthouses at the top of the city. I sighed, my breath clouding the air in front of me. I shivered, and pulled my jacket tighter. The thin fabric did little to keep in the warmth, but it was something. Maybe Mum would have the heating on at home. I continued walking towards my house, feat beating the pavement. As I turned into my street, two young boys zoomed past on an old, rusty bike. One of the grabbed at my veil, pulling it off. "Hey!" I cried out, but just got a mouthful of black exhaust that left me coughing.

"Mum! I'm home!" I pushed the blue door open, slipping back into the comfort and safety of my house. Well, not house, more like flat. Me, Mum and Dad lived in a second story flat on the Brakis estate. It wasn't big, but we made do. Listening to the radio blare music, I stomped my feet on the "Welcome" mat, a light dusting of ice cracking off them. Unzipping my regulation boots, I heard Dad call through. "Mums gone to the shops, Tes!"
"Ok!" I hung up my coat and wandered through to the living room.

"Ooh, what you cooking?" I flopped down on the sofa. The T.V. was off, again. Nothing good on anyway. Just the news, showing how great L.I.V.E was. I didn't agree, not that I would voice that outside the flat. Too many ears and eyes ready to report.
"I am cooking meatballs." Dad waved a recipe across the room. "And I could use a hand, so get off your lazy ass and come help. And where is your veil? You could've been arrested!"

"May I remind you I walked through the door all of 10 seconds ago having just finished a 12 hour shift?" I groaned. "And some boys stole it."
"Yep, and I was at work since 4 this morning till about 5 so suck it up buttercup."
I got up off the sofa, sensing I had lost the battle. Dad was a terrible cook anyway and I wanted to eat something edible tonight.
"What's Mum getting at the shops? We bought food just yesterday." I asked, stirring the only slightly burned tomato sauce.

"She needs some... things. Anyway, pass me the pasta."
I could tell something was wrong, but didn't question and got on with making dinner. The blast of icy air outside had been a welcome change from the oppressive heat of the factory, and now the damp warmth of cooking penetrated my skin. I rolled up the sleeves of my grey jumpsuit, wincing as the cuts in my hands opened afresh. Abandoning the sauce for a minute, I reached into the cupboard above me.