Glimpse into the Madness

As the movie came to a close, Gordon watched his entire torment on the silver screen. He looked to his friends, Bubby, Coomer, and Tommy, as well as Tommy's father, Mr. Coolatta. He wanted a break, to go home, his mind eternally screaming. Soon, Mr. Coolatta stood, "Well, that was a great, movie, but I believe it's time for us t-" then his vision went black. He opened his eyes, blood dripping from his face, gunfire in the air, "Wh-What?!" He said, looking around, "Coomer? Tommy! Bubby!" His vision was blurred, and he didn't know what happened or where he was. Every thought made his brain feel like it was filled with holes, each word slipping out, every image in front of him not processing, completely forgetting the details every time he blinked. Soon, a voice called out in a whisper, "Who's there?"

The city of City 17 was a place where the boundaries between reality and the surreal had blurred beyond recognition. Ever since the Combine had taken control, the once-thriving metropolis had been transformed into a nightmarish dystopia. The looming Citadel, an imposing structure that pierced the sky, cast a shadow over the entire city. Alyx walked through the shadows, hiding from combines. Her mission was clear: to undermine the Combine's grip on the city and to find a way to free humanity from their rule, as well as find her father. It was a quiet evening, or at least as quiet as an evening could be in a city overrun by alien forces. Alyx was on routine scouting, scouring the derelict buildings of City 17 for any signs of Combine activity. She moved stealthily, her footsteps masked by the broken glass and debris that littered the streets. As she crept through the ruins, her eyes caught something unusual-a flicker of movement in the corner of her vision. She froze, her hand instinctively reaching for her trusty makeshift weapon, a modified hand gun, "Who's there?" Alyx whispered, her voice barely audible. From the shadows emerged a figure, hunched and trembling. It was a man wearing an HEV radiation suit. His suit was tattered, and his skin was pale, almost sickly. But what caught Alyx's attention were the strange movements he made, fist constantly clenched, almost like a gorilla, "Easy there," she said, cautiously approaching the stranger. "I'm not with the Combine. What's your name?" the man tried his best to look at her, "Gordon, my name is...Free bird. I-I'm looking for...f-for..." He was disoriented, "Whoa, easy there. Let's sit down for a second," she said, grabbing him and trying to lower him down before he dropped like a sack of potatoes, "B-Benry...Mr.Coolatta?" Alyx looked around, "Shit..." she cursed under her breath. This man was too heavy to carry, mostly because he was wearing the HEV suit. Once on, they don't come off, at least that's what she heard. She grabbed a hip flask filled with water, "Here, drink this," the man grabbed it, "What is this...? Alcohol?" Alyx shook her head, "It's water, clean water," and he quickly drank it. After a few moments, he came to his senses, "Thank you...who are you?" Alyx smiled, "Alyx Vance," Gordon nodded, "Gordon Freeman," Alyx smiled at him, "Nice to meet you. Look, I can tell you've been through hell and back...I can help find what you're looking for, but we gotta get moving." She helped him up, "How can I trust you?" Alyx shrugged, "How can I trust you?" Gordon sighed, "Alright...you uh...got a weapon I can use...?" Alyx shook her head, "I don't trust you enough to give you a gun yet..." and he nodded, "I...completely understand that. Let's go." They quickly got themselves moving, "Tell me about yourself Alyx," Alyx thought, "Well, uh...before the Combine takeover, I was just a resident of City 17. My father, Eli Vance, was a prominent scientist where you work, if I remember your name correctly," she said, "Wait, you know who I am?" Alyx scoffed, "Of course I do. You're dunce that caused the resonance cascade, now let me finish," she said harshly," "My father was a close friend of Dr. Kleiner, as well as Dr. Francis. We were part of the resistance, working in secret to push back against the Combine forces and find a way to free humanity from their control." As they walked through the dark, desolate streets, Gordon listened intently. The city seemed to stretch endlessly before them, filled with the echoes of its former glory. Alyx continued, "My father and I were determined to find a way to shut down the Citadel, the heart of the Combine's power here. We've made some progress, but..." Gordon became curious, "But what?" Alyx sighed, "We can't find my father. He went out on a supply run and just...never came back," Gordon frowned a little, "Sorry to hear about that," Then Alyx shrugged, "Nothing we can do but wait. What about you?" Gordon sighed, "Not like you'd believe me, but...where do I begin...?"