Prologue

May 24, 2009

Music beat through the bar as Mari twirled her friend around, laughing when the other woman stumbled. A laugh tumbled from her lips as she hugged the strawberry-blonde woman, also trying to stay steady in the bustling crowd. Suddenly, the other woman’s phone began to ring, and Mari plunked it out of her friend’s back pocket, ignoring her friend’s attempts to achieve it.

“Is it Dan?” Mari asked, holding the phone above the other woman’s head, despite being several inches shorter than her friend, “Cuz if it’s Dan then’m sooo gonna cuss ‘im out! He deserves it, Jenna!”

“It’s not,” Jenna mumbled as she finally got her phone back, “It’s Liz.” Mari brightened and giggled, wrapping her arms tightly around her friend, gazing up at the woman in adoration.

“Sheriff lady from home,” Mari nodded, clinging to Jenna’s waist as they shoved their way through the crowd and stumbled out of the bar.

“Mhm,” Jenna nodded before answering the phone, “Lizzie!” A few taps on the phone - one Mari had bought the other girl - had the phone on speaker, seeing as Jenna was slightly too drunk to keep it near her ear.

“Evening, Jenna,” Liz greeted, and Jena scoffed.

“It’s nearing midnight, my loveliest officer,” Jenna cooed, causing Mari to nearly fall to the alcohol slickened stone as she laughed.

“How drunk are you, Jenna?” The woman on the other end of the phone asked, sounding slightly exasperated.

“Only enough to wash away the pain, Lizzie Love,” Jenna pouted, “Besides, not m’fault. Dan is a d*** and dumped me! On my birthday!”

“That was Lucas,” Mari corrected, “Last year. Dan dumped you on Monday, and then we totally ruined his life!” Jenna giggled and shoved her friend away, causing Mari to sway unstably on her feet, putting her hand on the rough red brick to stabilize herself.

“Jen,” Liz sighed as Mari leaned against the door to the bar, nearly falling once again due to her alcohol-induced, very poor balance. Jenna, however, sensed the serious tone in her former babysitter’s voice and straightened up, attempting to sober herself up for a brief moment.

“Lizzie?” she frowned, “What’s wrong?”

“Jenna, I hate to tell you like this,” Liz sighed heavily, “But last night, Grayson, Miranda, and Elena went over Wickery Bridge. Elena managed to escape the car, but Grayson and Miranda weren’t so fortunate. I’m so sorry.” Jenna froze, shock vibrating through her, and her phone slipped from her grip, clattering on the pavement below. Jenna didn’t move for a moment, frozen in her shock, horror, and pain.

“Jen?” Mari whispered, touching the other woman’s shoulder gently, and Jena sprung back to life. She threw her arms around her friend, her hands bunching up the black blouse that she wore. Mari wrapped her arms around Jenna tightly, rubbing soothing circles on her friend’s back, ignoring the growing wet spot on her favorite shirt.

And at that moment, despite being mostly drunk and more than slightly overcome with worry, Mari made a promise.

She would protect Jenna, no matter what.

☆☆☆

A/N: In honor of Friday the 13th, I give you the first chapter of my new story. I can't wait to see Mari and Jenna's relationship evolve!

Thank everyone for reading!!!