-Ethan Diefenbaker- Nobody's children

This happened a long time ago, but I can still remember. The calendar marked the year 1657. Father had asked me to fetch water from the towns' well, while he and mother were out to visit an ill cousin. I was six at the time, but father said I needed to contribute to the family already, since I would soon become a grown, responsible man; just like him.

Mother very rarely left home and father was usually watching over me closely, teaching me skills which he said would help me when I grew older; so only in very rare occasions would they leave my twin-sister and me alone. Not wanting to let this opportunity go to waste, I snuck back into our house and quickly reached the room my sister and I shared.

My sister sat on the floor by herself, clothing her poppet. Apparently, mother hadn't asked her to do anything that day. She had light blonde hair, and pale blue eyes just like I did; even if mine didn't look as big as hers. She was wearing a long, yellow dress and her usual white apron.

"Fiona" I called, and took my hat off before entering the room.

"Ethan!" She greeted cheerfully and ran to embrace me, tossing her poppet aside carelessly.

"What are you doing here?" She asked finally letting me go "Didn't papa ask you to fetch water?" She stared at me confused.

"Yes, he did" I smiled sheepishly.

"So?" She placed her hands at her waist looking at me disapprovingly; making her look a lot like mother.

"Well" I crossed my arms "Mother and father left to visit cousin Percival. They both left" I stressed the word both for her to catch the hint.

She gasped and smiled widely.

"You mean...." She clasped her hands together "We can do whatever we want?"

I nodded.

"Not whatever, sister-mine, but something, for I came up with a plan" I raised my chin proudly; feeling very grown up-like.

"What sort of plan?" She eyed me suspiciously and I could clearly see curiosity seeping through.

"Well, have you heard about..."I made a dramatic pause and lowered my voice "...The feaster of the woods?"

She shook her head rapidly and stared at me, silently asking me to explain.

"No?" I faked my surprise "You mean you haven't heard the rumors?" Truthfully, I was sure Fiona didn't know about the rumors, since I've heard them from older boys, which my sister wasn't acquaintance with.

Fiona shook her head yet again "No, I've never heard any about the matter. What is it?"

"The feaster of the woods is a monster" y curled my fingers as claws and hunched slightly "They say it has huge fangs and horrid eyes which would freeze the bravest man on the spot"

Fiona looked surprised but not scared, never scared.

"A monster? Are you sure?" She squinted, not entirely believing my tale.

"As sure as I can be!" I placed my hand over my chest "There's even been witnesses! Todd and Henry said they've seen it with their own eyes"

Fiona rolled her eyes and sighed. "Ethan! How many times do I have to tell you not to listen to Todd and Henry?" She glared "They are always coming up with made-up stories just to scare you!"

Fiona turned her back at me and went to pick her poppet from the floor to place it over her bed.

"Don't fret over lies, brother. Why don't you make better use of your time and actually go to the well as papa told you?"