18

18 - Fire To The Rain

HADEN

The moonlight cast a silvery glow over the forest, bathing us in its ethereal light as I ran after her into the depths of the greenery. Immediately, I shifted, the crackling of bones and the soft groans echoed through the space. A surge of exhilaration ran through me as I shook my head, paws hitting the ground with a thud. Soft winds blew through my black fur and my eyes scanned for the woman I had dinner with.

My eyes narrowed and I let out a growl of impatience, but I didn't have to wait for much longer - and I was stunned at the woman, the wolf, that I saw emerge from the trunk of the tree.

Her wolf was beautiful, I thought as I admired the captivating shade of white fur. Confidently, she strutted over to me and I was impressed at her size. Her wolf was larger than the average - almost as large as my own. Her eyes connected with mine, and I caught a glint of mystery and saw a smile coat her lips before she dashed off.

I smirked and leaped after her. If a challenge is what she wanted, she'd most certainly get one. With much effort, I caught up to her, getting more and more impressed with the strength and stamina of her wolf. She was truly something special.

And she was mine.

I jumped on her as I caught up, nuzzling her neck but she maneuvered from under me and we playfully fought each other. I had forgotten what it was like to be this carefree. This open.

We chased each other through the trees, barking and laughing at each other, our bond growing stronger with every stride. We circled and nipped, tumbled and wrestled, basking in the pure joy of the run. I managed to pin her down once again and was surprised when she licked my face, too surprised so she wiggled herself from under me once again and took off in a dash. She got far, but not far enough, I thought as I caught up and pinned her down again and licked her face for good measure. It was a rare moment of peace and happiness, and I found myself losing track of time.

Something sizzled between us; something that we couldn't stop anymore now that our wolves had control. I could feel her wolf's desire, smell it in the air, and an almost primal urge to claim her seeped through me. Ignited through me. It was a dangerous dance, a line we were treading on, but it was intoxicating and I couldn't get enough of it. Involuntarily, I bent to her neck and had my teeth scratching against her fur, ready to plunge them into her skin and mark her as my own.

Then the rare moment of peace slipped away.

The serenity we once felt was shattered by the loud cracking of growls in the air and I spun around at the sound. Standing on all fours, three wolves gnashed their teeth at me and growled back menacingly.

'Conner, James, rogues close to the East border. Me and Zara are here,' I immediately alerted them as I let out my own menacing growl at the three rogues. They were a threat, and I instinctively moved to protect Zara, watching as they broke off and circled around us. My guard was back up now and I knew I had to protect Zara at any cost.

She was mine.

With every move they made, my eyes stalked them and I made a move to push Zara underneath me but she shoved me away and turned to the wolf in her view and growled at it. I wanted to pin her under me again but one of the wolves leaped towards me - and so it began.

After the first wolf attacked, the others didn't spare a second. The second one jumped at the opportunity of facing off with an Alpha while the other decided to attack my mate. We fought, biting and tearing at each other until the death. As I yanked on the neck of the first wolf, I ripped it own and didn't waste time launching at the second. This wolf was weaker and, within minutes, I had it bleeding to death underneath me.