Voices

The Shepherd's Voice

How many of us wrestling with hearing the Lord's voice? Some who are in this camp are not sure if God speaks to people today, let alone that He would even speak to them. What you believe to be true affects what you're able to receive. Knowing what is available plays a big role in what you believe. In this particular instance, if a person does not know God speaks to His people on a personal level, he does not know it's a thing to believe. Generally, when people don't know what they're missing, they don't know they are missing it.

1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

God has given us His Spirit and His Word, so we may know the things He has freely given us. This is one reason it's important to spend time reading the Bible with the help of Holy Spirit. Too many are missing the things of God, because they don't. Let's see what Jesus says about us hearing His voice.

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Jesus says His sheep hear His voice. He did not say they used to hear My voice. This alone tells us there is a voice to be heard. Belonging to Him is requisite to listening. Because Holy Spirit lives in us, He is able to speak to us directly. It is vital to be willing to listen to what He has to say. "Okay, He speaks to His people, but how do I know He would speak to me, personally?"

John 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

John 10:14 I am the good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine.

In the Parable of the Good Shepherd, Jesus makes it clear that He calls His sheep by name, and they have relationship together. Take it personally! He knows you, and calls you by name, which means He speaks to you, one on one. It's hard to fathom that the Creator of the universe would spend time with us on an individual level. He knows everything about you -everything! He knows everyone and everything in the most intimate way possible -crazy! But then, that's why He is God.

"How do I know I'm His?"

Romans 8:15-16 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.

His peace that surpasses understanding is one way you know you're His. Holy Spirit is one Witness, and Scripture is another. What does the Word say? Sometimes doubt will try to creep in, and whisper otherwise. This leads to another hindrance to hearing His voice, which is other voices.

The Voice of Strangers

John 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

Throughout Scripture, we find there are other voices out there. Some of those voices lead to questioning and doubt. We saw this first playout in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-7): "Did God really say?" The serpent caused Eve to question the Word of God.

Unfortunately, there are a number of humans who act like the serpent. "That's not for today. You really believe that?" We have been instructed to test the spirits, to see what is of God.

1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

To state the obvious, the antichrist spirit opposes God. That spirit manifests in several different ways. Lying spirits abound, and show up in various forms. It's important to remember they have no power over us, which means we don't have to listen to them, nor should we.

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Holy Spirit gives us discernment (see 1 Corinthians 12:10), which is not limited spirit-beings. It includes attitudes and intents of people's hearts. It is important to pay attention to Him, and the not the world. A quick way to become double-minded is taking counsel from the world. For instance, trying to use science to confirm the Word of God. True science will always align with His Word. Then, there's so-called science, which leads people away from God. Paul put it this way:

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions (opposing arguments) of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen (1 Timothy 6:20-21).

To what voices are we paying attention? Are they voices of fear? Perhaps doubt and unbelief? Is it the voices of lying spirits that are out there? If we focus on Jesus, and push away those other voices, we will be more apt to His hear His voice clearly.

James 4:7-8 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.