in the eye of a storm, i can still be brave! (little!yeonjun x caregiver!reader)

Yeonjun is a big boy.

He can make his own bed, brush his teeth and comb his hair. He helps his caregiver cook meals and cleans up after his younger brothers that are too small to do it themselves. He can even pour milk into his cereal bowl without spilling a single drop!

But sometimes, even big boys need a little help. Like when they can't sleep through a loud thunderstorm. He knows he can ask for help from his Mama/Papa whenever he needs it, but Yeonjun wants to be big. He wants to sleep in his room in his own bed all by himself.

"I can do it!" He had insisted that night at bedtime, climbing up  into his bed. "Junnie will stay in his bed the whole night!" His caregiver frowns a little, uncertain of leaving him all alone with the rain being this loud.
"Are you sure, Junnie? I know how much you don't like the thunder.."

Junnie quickly nods his head yes, a big grin on his face as he snuggles himself into bed. "Junnie can do it, he promises!" Yeonjun's caregiver finally gives in, pressing a gentle kiss on top of his head, bidding him goodnight as they left his room.

And now here Yeonjun was, tucked into his bed—and absolutely terrified. The rain had gotten even louder and heavier as the night went on, making it almost impossible for him to fall asleep. What was worse, the tree branches outside his window were tapping on the glass really hard, making it a weird scraping sound that reminded Yeonjun too much of a monster's long claws trying to reach inside his room and grab him. Then he heard a loud BOOM of thunder that made him yelp and hide under his blanket.
Sigh, this wouldn't do at all.

He slowly peeked his head out and looked around his room. Beside him, Soobin and Beomgyu were fast asleep in their own beds. Yeonjun frowned. How could his little brothers sleep so soundly when so many loud noises were going on?? And if they could.. did that mean they were braver than him? The more Yeonjun thought about it, the even more sad he got. He was supposed to be a big boy and brave but the rain was so loud and so scary.. it made him want to cry. But if he cried then he really wouldn't be a big boy.

Another roll of thunder hit, this time bringing a big strike of lightning across the sky. Yeonjun jumped out of his bed, running all the way down to his caregiver's room.

As he came closer to their bed, Yeonjun started to frown again. His caregiver was sound asleep, their eyes shut so peacefully. Yeonjun was starting to feel bad for waking them but another roll of thunder made him forget all about that.

"Mama/Papa?" He whispers, gently shaking their shoulder. "Are you awake?"  A small smile of relief appears on his face when they finally start to wake up, a quiet yawn leaving them as they slowly sit themselves up. "Junnie? what are you doing up, honey?"

"Umm.." Yeonjun starts to hesitate. Now that his caregiver is awake, he feels a little silly. He's about to tell them to never mind when another wave of thunder hits his ears, this one louder than all the ones from earlier.
"AH, SCARY THUNDER MONSTER" He scurries into his Mama/Papa's arms, wrapping his arms around their waist tightly. His caregiver looks down at him sweetly, gently carding a hand through his hair as they gently shush his crying. It was growing far too long for it to be kept up properly, but that was a problem for tomorrow. They wrap their arms around him nice and tight, watching his eyes fall shut as the gentle words of a lullaby soothe him.

Yeonjun, who was a big boy, but would always come find them whenever he needed them.
Even if it was only to chase scary thunder monsters away <3

a/n: hi! this is my first try at writing a full littlespace oneshot so pls give me ur thoughts & maybe some requests if you want!
until next time 💗