Chapter 1

I wake up in my familiar comfy bed, I look at my alarm clock it's 9:57 a.m. I sigh and sit up in my bed and stretch.

I slip on my slippers and climb down my stairs, I see a note on the fridge from my dad.

Lydia,
I left for work early today and shouldn't be home until after dinner, I left you 50 dollars on the table if you get bored. Paulina is coming late, so make yourself whatever. Love you and try to have a nice day.
Love, dad

I rolled my eyes and threw the white note in the trash, what's new? Paulina is our maid, she's very nice and helps me with my spanish homework a lot since I'm homeschooled, Paulina had been working for us for 10 years and is almost like a mom to me.

I grab a carton of milk and a bowl, I frown when I see there's no milk left and throw the container away. Since I'm too lazy to make eggs, I decide to take the bus to the local diner.

I take a quick shower and leave my long brown hair down. My hair stops right at my bum when it's down so it gets in the way a lot. I put on some mascara and foundation on, I smudge on some red lip stain and put on my old 'I <3 NYC' shirt. My dad got it for me a couple years ago and it's just barely starting to fit me. I throw on some light washed shorts and my white converse. I fix my messy hair in the mirror one last time and start to head out the door. Right as I'm about to close the front door I stop it just before it shuts with my foot and grab my wallet that has my money and keys in it.

I wait at the bus stop for what seems like centuries, with whining children, the mothers telling them to be quiet, people who smell like they just crawled out of the trash, and just weird people in general. You think I'd have a private limousine or a BMW since I'm rich, but my dad thinks I should wait until I'm 17 which is in 2 months anyways so really I don't mind taking the bus for now. In fact, I like being by myself on the bus, it lets me think. The bus finally arrives and I show the driver my ticket. I find a spot in the very back where I can be all alone, I reach into my back pocket and grab my tangled headphones, once I finally untangle them I put my playlist on shuffle and smile as one of my favorite songs come on, I write sins, not tragedies by Panic At The Disco!

If I were by myself right now I'd be going totally crazy. I've begged my dad so many times if I could get a lip piercing because I find them so cool but he says it'd make me look trashy and unprofessional.

I see my stop and pull down my hook I say thank you to the bus driver and jump off the crazy ride.

As I walk into the diner, I receive looks and whispers, I remember the glasses on my head and put them on so people don't recognize me.

"Hey! Is that my lil sugar bug?!" Constance says.

She's way too old to be working at a diner but she's the owner and she refuses to sell it or give it to someone in her family.

"Hey Constance how you doing?" I ask helping her sit down at a booth.

"Ya know... the same old honey, people tryna steal my restaurant and they sayin' it's all about money. Well not for me! My brother made this diner with his own hands I ain't gonna sell it for no money, to me it's priceless," She said proudly, she tells me this everytime I come but I think she forgets so I let her go on until she's done. she was wearing her usual old pink diner dress with her grey hair in a bun and her brown skin was ashy.

"How bout you sugar?" She said nodding her head and smiling. She was wearing her usual pink diner dress, the white was dingy and the pink was starting to fade, her grey hair was in a bun with a hairnet over it and her brown skin was ashy and wrinkly.