➤ prologue

𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 left him the day he was born, and his mother died after giving birth to her second child a year after having him. Not only did Asa Aito have to fill the role of both parents, but he also had to take of his younger brother while he was just a young boy himself.

The need for money became a must as time went by, so he, being the eldest, worked hard to provide for both himself and his brother. It was hard. Every day they lived in fear. Never knowing when someone could hurt them, kill them, kidnap them, anything. Who could they turn to?

But still, he put on a smile. Around his brother, the smile people described as picturesque, never escaped his lips. He wanted his brother to know that he was strong and always ready to protect him. When in reality, he knew he couldn't.

But when he saw her, he knew this would be the change in his life. This would be his way to protect his brother.

Asa was simply carrying logs in a basket to bring back home for fire, as it was winter season. That's when he first saw the woman who would change his life.

A middle-aged woman, with long silky brown hair that reached down her back. She wore a red and white kimono and a matching fox mask to top it off.

However, what captivated the blonde-haired male the most was how effortlessly she used her matching red and white sword. Her body danced through the cold weather, so swift and agile like a leaf falling from a tree in the autumn breeze.

Asa almost dropped the logs he was carrying from how cool she looked. Until she suddenly stopped and turned around, staring directly at him which completely took him by surprise.

"May I help you?" Her smooth and deep, but still somewhat soft, voice echoed in the male's ears.

Asa didn't know what to say, so he just shook his head as a form of saying 'no.'

"Very well then."

She turned back around to continue what she was previously doing, but she stopped when Asa finally spoke up. Whatever came over him he couldn't stop his mouth from moving now. There were just too many thoughts in his mind.

"Did you sense me?"

"Something like that."

"Something like what?"

"Spatial awareness."

"What's that?"

"Being aware of your surroundings."

"How did you do all of that cool stuff with your sword?"

"It's called a katana and it takes years of hard work and practice."

"Aren't you cold, though?"

"No."

"How come?"

"Because of resistance."

"What does that mean?"

"Not being affected by something adversely."

"Oh...what does adversely mean?"

The woman gripped the katana in her hand in slight annoyance. 'This kid.' She bit the inside of her cheek to keep from lashing out at him.

With a small sigh, she turned back around to face him. "Are you always like this?"

"Always like what?" He looked up at her with a small grin that the woman couldn't help but smile at underneath her mask.

"Never mind it." She waved off, now staring at the piles of wood stacked up on his bony arms as well as his back. "Looks like you've got somewhere to be. Why don't you carry along now, hm?"

Resuming her previous work, Asa said nothing and only watched her. This was it. This was how he could protect his brother and maybe even others. "Do you think I can do that, too?"

She stopped in her tracks, being slightly taken aback by the sudden question. "I don't know." An honest but still hurtful response.

"Could you teach me?! You can be my teacher and I'll be your student!" His dark chocolate eyes sparkled, and the logs in his hands were now down on the ground.

"I don't work with kids." She began ignoring his presence. He was sidetracking her; deviating her steady focus.

"B-But, I'm not a kid!" Asa huffed while crossing his arms, clearly upset.

"You sure? The height and childish antics kind of give it away." She chuckled at her joke, but this only angered Asa even more.

"If you just train me I can prove my worth!"

Noticing the determination in the younger boy's eyes she gave in and turned her attention completely on him.

"Oh yeah? And why do you want to learn how to fight anyway?"

This question will bring out his true intentions. The answer itself would tell her if he was worth her time.

"My younger brother...I have, no, I need to protect him. He's all I've got and I'm all he's got. I'm older so I have to be there for him. I need to shield him from danger, but right now...I'm useless. Please, please help me get strong because I have a goal. I'm gonna protect those in need until I can't anymore!"

The older lady's eyes widened behind her fox mask. This kid looked no more than seven years old and yet his eyes seemed to explain everything she needed to know.

'You're something else, kid.' Clearing her throat abruptly, she sheathed her katana and started walking away, confusing Asa.

"Tomorrow before the sun rises." Asa internally cheered. He had successfully found himself a master. "Don't be late."

"Yes, ma'am!! Wait, what's your name?"

"Call me Sayua."

"Okay, Sayua-sensei! Call me Asa!"

But the boy was talking to air. Sayua had already disappeared into the unknown winter forest, her old presence long gone.

𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐈𝐃 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 [ ❌ ]
ongoing )