Untitled part

Maura put the final period to her last report of the day and let out of long sigh. It had been a long day. She hadn't had a minute to herself off all day, not even to have a coffee or eat something. She had spent the day performing autopsies. Every time she was finishing one, three new bodies were brought to her by EMTs. Those past few weeks everyone working in the medical field had been in an all hands on deck situation. The world was at the mercy of a deadly virus that was spreading so fast it was hard to keep count of the victims it left behind. Hospitals were full, doctors were overwhelmed and exhausted, resources were low, and the victims count was terrifyingly high. The world hadn't known such a pandemic since the Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 between 2009 and 2010. And even that virus hadn't been as murderous as the one they were fighting now.

Maura leant back in her chair and rubbed her temples. She was relieved to be done for the day. She could barely stand anymore. She had long stopped wearing high heels and designer dresses in aid of more comfortable shoes and clothes. Her make-up was almost inexistent and just served the propose of hiding the dark bags under her eyes. She missed the old days when she would take her time to get ready, when she would feel everyone's looks on her. Now she only wore leggings and trainers under an hazmat suit supposed to prevent her from being infected. It hadn't proved to be efficient for some of her colleagues. Or for anyone else working on the front lines. They were powerless and exploited by a government that wanted them to put an end to that pandemic as soon as possible. Everyone wanted answers, no one was finding any.

She closed her eyes for a moment and allowed herself to think about the good old days when she was working with Boston Homicide, when she was surrounded by her friends and helping in resolving murders. She missed them, missed their jokes, missed meeting them at the Dirty Robber at the end of the day. Now she was stuck in the morgue of the Massachusetts General Hospital from the early hours of the day to the late hours of the night and was barely seeing anyone anymore. It was like being back to the days before she came to Boston, before she met Jane, the Rizzolis and the Homicide squad. Back then, she hadn't minded the solitude and the overload of work but today, it was too much for her. She wanted things to go back to what they were before the pandemic hit. If only it was possible.

She jerked awake at the sound of her phone buzzing against the hard surface of the tiny desk the hospital management had attributed her. A tiny desk in a tiny, sterilised and plain office. She glanced at her screen. It was well over 3am. She had several missed calls from Angela but nothing on her voicemail. It was time to go back home and hopefully get some more sleep.

The house was quiet when she made it there. All lights were out except for one that Angela was always leaving on for her when she was coming home late. A sweet attention that warmed her weary heart.

She put away her briefcase and jacket and walked to the kitchen. She washed her hands and splashed some cool water on her face. A plate of lasagnas was waiting for her in the fridge. She smiled. Angela was so thoughtful. She had lost her job when the Division One Café closed because of the pandemic but she had refused to stay home and do nothing. Instead, she had learnt a few medical tricks to help whenever she could and the rest of the time, she was making sure that her family was doing well.

"Maura? Is that you?"

Maura turned around to face the older Rizzoli. Why was she still surprised to see her up and around so late? Angela wouldn't leave until she was home. She gave her a tired smile.

"How is she?"

"Her fever's not completely gone yet but she's getting there."