Prologue

CAYA

As my eyes gently flutter open, a crushing sense of dread washes over me. A deep yearning, an unexpected hollowing in my heart arises as I contemplate leaving the only family I've ever known. The Metkayina.

With a deep breath, I get up, knowing that I have to find my parents, and tell them I'm destined for a journey back to the Omatikaya. With a heavy sigh, I stand and walk to the doorway of my marui, every step a reminder of the sacrifice I'm about to make.

"Caya..." Neteyam's hushed voice caresses my ears, filled with tender concern. "Where are you going?"

Turning slowly, tears trace a silent path down my cheeks. "I gotta tell my family, Neteyam."

He sits up and a thoughtful expression creases his brow as he nods slowly, his fingers brushing through his braids. "And I have to tell mine. This is a lot more challenging than I had imagined." He sighs, revealing the inner turmoil that mirrors my own.

I gaze at him for a moment, nodding silently. "Yeah... I'll see you soon, love."

Stepping outside, I drink in the vibrant surroundings, knowing that this day marks the last time I'll behold them for the foreseeable future. A lump forms in my throat as I try to suppress the tears, my gaze lingering on the vast sea, teeming with life, the fish, the Tulkun, and the Ilu gracefully gliding through its depths. Shaking off the trance, I summon Neya, who responds with cheerful chirps. With a dive I mount her back, my hand tenderly stroking her sleek body as she carries me toward Takana.

Sister! Takana's song cascades through the water as she executes a backflip. I approach her slowly, placing my hand beside her eye, my heart pounding in my chest.

Caya... What's wrong?

'Takana, I have to go to the Omatikaya.' I sign, my lip trembling as I hold back the torrent of emotions.

Already? She responds with a touch of sadness, extending her fin to me, raising us gently above the water's surface.

"Neteyam had a vision. We leave tonight," I whisper as I pat her. Takana gazes at me for a moment, sighing deeply.

I will miss you, more than you can imagine. But place your trust in the Great Mother, as I do. She has guided you to this point, hasn't she?

Tears well up in my eyes, and I choke back a sob. "I will miss you too. I don't know how I'll survive in the forest, Takana. The water is all I've ever known."

I know, my girl. But it flows in your blood, in your ancestry. You are Forest Na'vi, and when you reconnect with the essence of your being, everything will come naturally to you. You will become a remarkable Tsahik, and Neteyam a great Olo'eyktan. Takana winks, her chirps resonating with hope.

I manage a laugh, smiling through the tears as I embrace her tightly. "I love you, forever, Takana."

I love you too, my Caya. This won't be the last time we meet. We are bound, eternally connected in spirit. You will always be a part of me, and I of you.

With a solemn nod, I smile through the sadness, resting my head against her side and caress her affectionately. "I guess it's time to face my family now, isn't it?" Takana chirps her agreement happily. She guides us back into the water and I turn to swim to Neya. Gripping her reigns, I look back to Takana, and touch my fingers to my forehead as I motion to her.