#

It was a pleasant day. Birds were chirping and life on the Moby Dick couldn't be better. The Mess hall was as rambunctious as always, with Thatch flitting around with an impossible amount of plates (courtesy of the fire starter), Marco dodging as a full-blown food fight erupted near the commander's table and Izo and Haruta engaged in a conversation about socks with Jozu interjecting with his own opinions ( "Really?" "Of course, all of it can only be carried with presence." )

It was this normal semblance that broke when Toshi from the twelfth division burst into the hall when the whitebeard pirates began trickling out after their meal. A few stragglers lingered behind, wondering what the fuss was about, but quickly made their way out when Toshi approached the commanders with a den den mushi clutched in his hand. Whatever it was, it was none of their business.

Haruta broke away from his argument and glanced at his division member. It had to be urgent because the poor man seemed to sweat buckets, clearly having run over to them.

"Is something wrong, Toshi?" At his question, Ace looked up from where he was stuffing his face and raised an eyebrow, clearly seeing the haggard appearance of his ship-brother.

"C-Commander!" he wheezed as he thrust out the ringing den den mushi towards them, "It's for Commander Ace, from East blue!"

Marco would be lying if he said he was not interested, but he still kept his disinterested facade. Of course, His brothers had no qualms in showing their interest, leaning forward eagerly like the gossip-hungry vultures they were. Ace, on the other, looked concerned but leaned forward to wipe his soiled hands on Thatch's vest, ignoring his squawk of protest.

Ace glanced at them all in turn, seemingly coming to a decision as he pulled the den den mushi towards him. His brothers could not stop the small tendril of warmth and pride as Ace remained seated in his place, even as a relieved Toshi slipped out of the hall, it meant that he was content in exposing his past. Not that the whitebeard pirates needed to know that, but learning about their youngest brother was a joy in itself.

*ka-chank* "Hello?" Ace said tentatively.

A kind voice lilted out of the snail. "Ace, dear, is that you?"

Fire seemed to spread across his cheeks, which Haruta and Thatch gleefully pointed out while sniggering. They only stopped once Izo whacked the back of their heads, pointedly staring at the blushing man.

Ace shot Izo a grateful look and swallowed nervously. "Yeah, Makino?"

"Yes, hello. Thank the seas I was able to reach you!"

And now the man frowned with concern. "Makino, is something wrong?"

A light laugh filled the room. "No, no nothing like that," Ace exhaled with relief. "Hmm, How do I say this? Well, your grandfather came."

The earlier anxiety returned tenfold as his shoulders stiffened. From the corner of his eye, he could see his brothers exchanging worried looks.

"Ace, stop worrying." Came the immediate reprimand.

"Who says I am worrying?" He shot back and cringed a few moments later at his tone. He softened his voice and tried again. "How's the little imp?"

"Well, about that," A faint rustling could be heard in the background along with strange yells, "After your grandfather happened (yes, because his name was enough), His bruises are a little severe-

"What?!"

There was disappointment in Makino's voice, along with restrained fury. "He got dropped in a ravine, I think there were sharpened rocks there. That man....