Chapter 1

Motionless, Leonyo stood at the balustrade of his balcony, staring down at his swamp where yellowish vapors danced as if something were moving beneath the surface. Drizzle got caught in his hair, collected at the tips, and dripped onto his face, but he didn't mind. He was too occupied with himself, with the voice that had accompanied him for many years. In recent years, thoughts whispered in his skull like an ever-increasing sound between rugged rocks that threatened to drive him insane.

»Stop doubting yourself, Leonyo! You are strong and powerful! You rule your people with an iron hand, and soon the whole world. You hunger for knowledge,« the inner voice spoke. »Then take it! Take what you desire. Everything is within reach; you just have to want it! Let go of old values; good and evil do not exist. There is only what is possible. Let go, and if you do as I say, you will be the most powerful mage this world has ever seen!«

Leonyo clenched his fists and struck the cold marble hard. He barely noticed as his skin split and began to bleed. Were these his thoughts? Did he have control over his powers, let alone his life?

Lost in his own world, Leonyo raised his head and let the rain cool his heated face with his eyes closed. It drove him out into the world, urged him to hold accountable all those who had wronged him in the past and take over their lands and kingdoms. He cursed the fact that he wasn't powerful enough to confront his enemies. This day would come; he felt a power deep inside himself, like a chained creature waiting to be unleashed.

Someone knocked on the door of his bedroom. Irritated, he left the balcony and went back to his chamber.

»What?« he shouted, grabbed a towel from his dresser and wiped his face.

»Sir,« a timid voice spoke through the thick wood, he had to strain to understand it.»The white magician instructed me to inform you of her arrival.«

Leonyo flung open the door and stared at the servant girl, who cowered like a rabbit. »Kasheena is here?!« He had been thinking of her today. A strange feeling of curious anticipation and deep mistrust rose within him.

»Don't tell me she caught your thoughts«, his inner voice snapped irritably before Leonyo could answer the maid. »Go back downstairs, Myola, and bring the lady to the Star Room, I'll be down shortly.«

Myola nodded. Humbly, she turned to leave when Leonyo grabbed her arm. His gaze slid over her curves, clearly outlined by the tight clothing. »Our bed has been cold for weeks, give her to me tonight, Leonyo«, his inner voice was whispering.

»Come to me tonight, scaredy-cat. You can warm my bed,« Leonyo instructed Myola, gently running his fingers over the neckline of her dress. He watched her rapid breathing and smiled. »Don't be afraid, we'll be nice to you.«

Myola looked up briefly, but quickly lowered her head again. »As you wish, sir,« she breathed, trembling all over. He savored her fear like a good wine before letting her go and watching her flee.

Kasheena. The thought of her ate away at his mind like acid. The embers of that lost love still burned within him, consuming the depths of his soul, to linger there forever as ash, silently mocking him.

He hadn't thought of her for a human lifetime, but then she had appeared here in Halof a few years ago, in the very small country where he had appointed himself ruler. Of course, she sought a conversation with him, but he had no interest in listening to her, didn't want to know anything about her excuses and lies. Years had passed since that encounter. Occasionally, he heard reverent whispers about her as she helped the people of the town.

He would never admit that losing her still hurt more than anything in the world. They called her »the good soul, the heart of the city« behind his back, but he didn't care. A little hope couldn't harm his people, after all, he had nothing to fear from Kasheena and her limited magical abilities. But why couldn't he fill the void she left behind? Although she would have made an excellent ruler by his side, he didn't need her. He possessed everything to soon achieve his goal. Magic was present in every pore of the earth, one just needed to be willing to use it for their own purposes, that's what it was there for.