chapter six

"thanks for waiting."

"sure."

"sorry about that," (name) apologized. "i had to meet with a teacher."

"you didn't have to run all the way here."

"i wanted to get here quickly. i already kept you waiting long enough. anyway, let's go."

miyamura hummed. "maybe you should wait until you catch your breath."

"i didn't run that far-"

"here."

miyamura extended his hand, displaying a water bottle which (name) took.

"thanks."

the two sat in silence for the next few minutes. one seeming completely calm and collected while the other remained in a never end stage of nervousness.

"okay, i've caught my breath."

"then let's head out. next time don't hurry like that," miyamura advised.

(name) trailed behind him as they began their walk into the city.

'next time? does that mean...?'

miyamura glanced at him from over his shoulder. "why are you walking behind me?"

they end up walking alongside one another in a comfortable silence.

"want to go somewhere first?" miyamura suddenly asked, breaking the thin blanket of silence.

"sure."

"do you drink coffee?"

"not often, but i like it."

"what do you want?" miyamura questioned, soon finding themselves in a local coffee shop.

"a caramel frappuccino."

"mn. go sit."

(name) followed his instructions, finding a seat near the window. after a few moments had passed by, miyamura returned with two coffee cups in hand.

"here."

"thanks. here's some money-"

"no need."

"it doesn't sit right with me knowing i need to pay you back."

"then you can pay next time we go somewhere. this time it's my treat."

'he said next time again.'

"so, is it okay to assume that this is a date?"

"hm? is it not? did i get the wrong idea or something?"

"no. it's just...i didn't want to assume anything so i figured the best way was to ask you before this continues any further. even though you put that pervert in his place on the train you still don't really know me."

"you're right," miyamura agreed. "i haven't fallen for you or anything like that just yet and i certainly can't predict what's going to happen. but, for now i want to get to know you. since you seem to like me i figure i've got to put in a sincere effort."

"are you sure about that though?"

"that wasn't a good enough reason?" miyamura asked.

"to be honest, i'm not so sure myself. i think the important part is what happens after something has started. despite the fact that i'm a guy, you picked a future with me in it."

miyamura turned in his seat to face him, placing his hands on his knees then bowing his head.

"then i'll ask you properly this time. (last name). please go out with me."

it took a lot to catch (name) off guard, but miyamura seemed to be doing it almost effortlessly. he wasn't expecting to be asked out, especially in a place like this.

"i'd like that."

a few murmurs were heard from the females sitting near them.

"did he just confess?"

"he so did!"

"high school kids? that's cute."

"congratulations you two!" someone called.

"you wish that was you, huh?"

"i want a love life."

"right? i hope you two are happy together!"

miyamura must have noticed (name's) flustered state.

"want to head out?"

"yes."

after the two had left the coffee shop, they decided to head their separate ways.

"well, i take the bus from here." (name) informed.

"okay."

"can i tell my friends we're dating?"

"sure."

"should i make sure not to talk to you at school?"

"no?"

"can i text you?"

"if you want."

"but you'd rather eat lunch separately, right?"

"i'm fine either way."

"really? which should we do?"

"whatever you're in the mood for."

"of course. you're right," (name) sighed. "sorry for asking so many questions. you're the first guy i've dated, well the only person i've dated actually, so i have no idea what the rules are."

miyamura had to stifle a laugh.

"there aren't any rules. but tell me what's on your mind from now on. i want to know what you're thinking and feeling."

"i want to know what you're thinking too so tell me everything as well. it doesn't work if it's completely one sided."

"i will. see ya."

"bye. see you tomorrow. "