1 - Surprise

**PETE POV**

I needed a drink. Today was shit, this new drug we were trying to get doctors to move wasn't working and now I was in shit hole Florida trying to help a business partner Liza get a few docs on board.

I went to the bar that was closest to the place I was staying. A place called Onyx, now yeah it was a strip club too but honestly after the shit day I had, that didn't appeal to me. I just wanted a few drinks, a few cigarettes and then I would be gone.

I walked in and after getting past their shitty bouncer and everything I took a seat at the bar.

"What'll it be?" The bartender asked.

"Beer, whatever you have in a bottle." I said. He popped a cap off of a bottle and set it on the bar. I took a long swig.

"Opening a tab?" He asked. I just half nodded and went back to my beer. After I took a drink, I pulled out my cigarettes and lighter...my silver lighter. I held it and just looked at it. The lighter she gave me...Ava...my Ava. She gave me this lighter when she found out she was pregnant. Her exact words to me were "smoke outside the house, never be around smelling like cigarettes it made her nauseous and the pack I was on was my last one." I smirked thinking about her. Ava Marcus was the one for me, the one and only. We had a son, Hudson. He was two years old last time I saw him...two years after Hudson was born Ava wanted more from me, for us and I couldn't give it to her. I wanted too, I just couldn't. That was three years ago when she left.

I knew her sister lived down here somewhere since that's where my checks used to go when I was able to send them. I hadn't sent money in over a year, maybe close to two. Business wasn't good, business was shit and I couldn't send her anything. I needed to try and find her. I needed to see Ava and I really wanted to see Hudson. He was probably five by now. Would he even know me? Did she tell him about me? I wouldn't blame her if she didn't.

Guys catcalling to the strippers pulled me from my thoughts of Ava and I drank down the last of my beer not even lighting my cigarette. I looked up to the wall of mirrors behind the bar and looked at myself. What was I doing with my life? This wasn't what I was meant to live. I was meant to have Ava and Hudson and be the perfect family. That was what I was supposed to be. Now I was just Pete Brenner, pharmaceutical salesmen and a shitty one at that.

Someone on stage caught my eye in the mirror as I watched her dance. This was not why I was here, but this stripper had me captivated and not in a way the girls had the guys here captivated. She had me captivated because it was Ava...my Ava...up on stage. I turned on my barstool to watch her. She was dancing for these men as they catcalled to her and tossed money at her.

My blood boiled and I wanted to storm the stage, put my jacket over body and drag her out of here and I would have to, but I also didn't feel like getting killed by the 18 bouncers around the club. I would wait and bide my time. I knew where she was now, and I didn't have a track her down.

I had to wonder though if she was here...where was Hudson?

* * * 

**AVA POV**

"You want to stay and get a drink tonight?" Tammy, a fellow stripper asked me as we got dressed backstage.

"No, I need to get home. My neighbor has Huddy and I want to give him some cuddles. He had a low-grade fever when I left today."

"Is he okay?" Tammy asked concerned.

"I think so, just a cold I think." I said and she gave a small smile.

"Well give him hugs and kisses from Auntie Tammy." She said and I walked over, hugged and kissed her cheek.

"I will." I said and walked out.

Tammy was the stripper to help me on my first night here a year ago. The money stopped coming from Pete and the job I did have barely covered my rent. She helped me conquer my fears of being on stage, helped me with customers and dancing.

"Good night, Ava." Rob, the bouncer said as I walked out.

"Good night, Rob." I said smiling as I was walking out. I reached my car and stopped walking. He was leaning on the trunk of my car smoking a cigarette.

"So, imagine my surprise I just step into the bar just to get a drink to find you dancing on the stage having money thrown at you." Pete said. I stopped and crossed my arms.

"Pete Brenner, what hole did you finally crawl out of?" I asked.

"This isn't about me Ava. This is about you on stage shaking your tits and ass for money!" Pete said raising his voice.

"Is there a problem here?" Rob asked walking over. I sighed and shook my head.

"Everything is fine Rob, thank you." I said and he walked away. I looked back at Pete.

"Pete, I had to get a job! When the money you were sending stopped abruptly my son had to eat. I needed money." I said and Pete growled throwing his cigarette to the ground and stomping it out.

"Our son Ava, Huddy is our son."

"Don't call him Huddy. This his nickname for people that know him. You don't know him!" I said walking over to Pete.

I knew walking closer to this man was dangerous. His eyes were captivating enough. Now here we were face to face again and I couldn't help but remember how this man used to make me feel.

"I want to see him, Ava. I want to see my son." Pete said.

"Pete..." I sighed.

"Ava, tonight. I want to see him." Pete said and I groaned.

"Fine, you're lucky it's still early. Get in your car and follow me." I said getting in my car and Pete walked to his. I had worked the afternoon/early evening shift and was off by 8pm.

I knew this was a mistake and I knew this was a problem that Pete was back, I didn't need Pete back. He was about to see my new life, a far cry from what I left with Pete.