"Prescription for Disaster: The Vioxx Scandal"

I'm going to get straight to the point, my firm opinion is that the FDA needs to be abolished, there are multiple reasons but to start it is clear that they are a corrupt government organization. It has been proven on countless occasions, a prime example would be the pharmaceutical industry which we know has been heavily corrupted against the American public for years.

Personally the first thing that comes to mind is the notorious and deceptive drug called Vioxx. It was a highly marketed arthritis medication that was introduced to the American public in may of 1999 by the German pharmaceutical company Merck. It ended up being first campaigned for positive health results by the New England journal of medicine, which just so happened to be involved in a conflict of interest they were sponsored and funded by the makers of the very drug in question.

Vioxx is one of the biggest scandals in American history it was estimated to have killed over 60,000 patients according to David Graham who is the current Associate Director of the FDA, compared to the 58,000 lives lost in the entirety of the Vietnam war. That means they killed more people and were also allowed to make revenue off the deaths, the 5 billion dollar fine Merck had to pay sounds pretty good until you realize they sold over 11 billion dollars of the deadly drug with full knowledge that it caused deadly heart attacks.

That means that the FDA and the rest of the corrupted government agencies that were involved with Vioxx allowed a foreign company to start a biological assault attacking the literal heart of the American people, and massacring more then 20 times the very amount of civilians that were murdered in the 9/11 attacks and yet somehow still receive 6 billion dollars in revenue for it and not have to go to prison.

Think about that for a second they were allowed to kill more people then one of the most deadly American conflicts ever the Vietnam war, and over 20 times the amount of deaths in the deadliest conflict ever on American soil the 9/11 attacks, yet they were still allowed gain 6 billion dollars with no jail time I find that extremely interesting.

I find it interesting because I think even if you for some reason trust the FDA, probably because you haven't been educated enough on the subject or what ever the case may be. We all know if the average American like you or me were to kill just one person let alone a small genocide, there is a great chance that we would be imprisoned for the rest of our life if not sent to death. And certainly wouldn't be allowed to create a revenue stream off of the pain and destruction, which is the system we believe in and voted for. Yet they are somehow above the law and can carry out that same murder 60,000 times over and gain billions of dollars from it with hardly any consequences at all.

 Yet they are somehow above the law and can carry out that same murder 60,000 times over and gain billions of dollars from it with hardly any consequences at all

I want everybody to understand how much destruction they truly caused. Look at the chart above if it was ranked among the deadliest American conflicts ever it would rank 4th, just behind the first 2 world wars with the civil war topping the list at over 600,000 casualties as the deadliest American conflict ever.

One last comparison is that it has also resulted in more deaths then all of the Americans in the war in Afghanistan, the war of 1812, the Iraq war, the Mexican-American and Spanish-American wars combined that's 5 major wars over the course of 150 years and Vioxx managed to cause more death over the course of just 5 years.

It is essentially propaganda, there are only 2 countries in the entire world that allow direct to consumer prescription drug advertisements and one of them is tragically the United States. An estimated 75% of all ad spending from the pharmaceutical industry is spent on television ads. And as shown with the picture above you have to be led to believe that a large portion of that advertisement is spent on selling us blatant and deadly lies. I'll end the article off with a couple of a quotes I found very informative in case you still don't believe me.

"The FDA is inherently biased in favor of the pharmaceutical industry. It views industry as it's client, whose interests it must represent, It views it's primary mission as approving as many drugs it can, regardless of whether the drugs are safe or needed."

"People should turn to Congress and demand a drug safety system that is free from corporate influence–and a distinct center for drug safety.
The FDA does not think anything it did is a mistake, none of its decisions are evidence-based."

"Today Merck was on trial, and a judgment was rendered. But when will the public hold the FDA accountable for its role, its complicity, in this catastrophe?"

- Associate Director of the FDA, Dr. David Graham.

Just to summarize the claim I made at the very beginning of article, the FDA at the very least needs new regulation and oversight, but in my opinion needs to be abolished and replaced with a newly funded and revamped organization all together.

- Eric Simpson 11/1/23