Forgiveness

Deep in the basement of the house, two individuals sat by the candle flames. Jefferson and Tracy stood before opposite sides, with a large sigil on a cloth between them. Its design was intricate and unknown to Jefferson. He had only just arrived without any prior expertise on the occult arts. He only desired to face judgment. Meanwhile, she set up the trinkets and tools to carry out the ritual. She hesitated still, looking back at his blank eyes. She broke the silence with a question in mind.

"Lots of people come to me to know if they're on their way to heaven or hell. Sometimes, they can't handle what they sign up to see"

Tracy explained to Jefferson with worry shadowing over her eyes. He, however, remained reflective of his sin, the one he's buried underneath so long and attempted to atone for. The people he served, the jobs he worked, the riches he donated and the hatred he abandoned must have been enough for redemption. There was little regret in his expression, but rather fearful determination.

"I must be sure. I spent half my life for this very moment. It can't go to waste, it can't..."

Jefferson was nearly overtaken by dread, feeling his pounding heart with his grip. It did not matter how much his body shivered in fear, as his hope was the only thing that kept him moving. Tracy organized everything in its proper place. The candles gave them a warm shelter in her ritual chamber. The book in her hands showed the correct pages and verses. All was in place. Yet, she still warned him.

"Listen close, Jeff. You're not on a fun casual trip to wherever you're going. If you are seen even once, I won't be able to pull you back. I don't wanna spend all night trying to wake you up!"

She spoke in a strict and commanding demeanor, having captured Jefferson's attention with words alone. His innocent glare held reflection and self question. He thought back to his sin and all of the things he had sacrificed for a chance at redemption. As much as his mind riddled with warnings against this procedure, he forced himself to confirm further progress.

"I-I understand, Tracy. I'll try my best to be careful"

Tracy replied with one final remark.

"Don't keep me up at night"

Jefferson's head rested on a plump pillow. Its softness granted him a sense of comfort that further lifted his hope. His hand met Tracy's as she held it close to her, holding the worn and ancient book on the other. It was full of verses and incantations written in latin. Jefferson could barely make them out, and gulped at such intricate writing displayed for the procedure.

He was ordered to close his eyes and so he did. She began to speak the incantation in a smooth, flawless manner. She truly was experienced in her craft. Soon, the words slithered into his ears, becoming a lullaby that slowly drove his mind into a calmed state. His aching fingertips began to relax, his arching back laid into place, his palpitating chest became quiet. The thoughts begging him to turn away from this ritual were finally silenced, laying him to sleep with a clear conscience.

Darkness shrouded his vision as he drifted to a realm of dreams. He thoroughly felt the feeling of being pulled into another reality entirely. His mind was passive towards anything that crossed it, floating slowly through the pitch black space. There were no stars, there were no cosmos. He drifted deeper and deeper into the unseen void while gravity guided his consciousness. His eyes remained closed while he felt the weight of his body be separated behind him. It felt as if hours had passed, with his mind holding eternal patience. The ticking of a clock became silent to him.

The dream-like stasis came to an abrupt end as his eyes opened. His mind returned to his body, but not the one he knew. The darkness wrapped around his surroundings still, and blocked everything from sight. Curious and cautious, he started to float, as if he were in a sea of darkness. He waved around and got his balance, before a light cast down on him. That same sigil symbol glowed a radiant violet down at Jefferson. Its neonic glow called to him, and the instinct to follow drove him to swim towards the light. His face neared the glowing sigil, with a couple more pulls needed to reach it. It glowed brighter and brighter the closer they became to each other, until finally, it engulfed everything.