0

Due to global warming the coasts of most countries have completely gone under water. Multiple quick succeeding economic depressions wreaked havoc on the URA’s economy, causing ⅔ of the population to die of starvation, the cold, sickness, or many other reasons relating to poverty and the winter’s fatal cold. Some people even resorted to cannibalism just to not die hungry. The country is in shambles with 99.4% percent of the 132,074,073 people there living on less than 100,000 URD a year, which puts them far below the poverty line. Less than 0.004% of the URA population has over 12× as much money than the other 99.994% of the URA. The middle class is so small that it makes up less of the population than the elites. Many clothing materials, like cotton, denim, and polyester, have become very scarce due to climate change and the restricted or banned use of most plastics and are only available to the very rich or are handed down generation to generation just so the younglings can survive the deadly winters. Many people go without clothing, which just makes the deaths by cold or injuries even higher.
Food and clean water shortages spread throughout the world, hiking prices as the supplies depleted. Fortunately quite a few crops and the new livestock insect farms were made specifically for the changing climate, so along with various automated machines, food shortages were able to be halted or even partially reversed in some places, even in places where the shortages were reversed, heavily processed foods are almost exclusively what is consumed due to the poor state of the world’s economy. As for the shortage of water, many countries have developed new technologies to filter sea and contaminated water, though many places still suffer from poor quality drinking water, and water-born pathogens spread quickly.
A piece of technology called the MSD (memory storage device) was developed in late 2022 for hope that future technological advancements could build some sort of machines to upload the data in the devices to virtually bring back the dead. A few decades later the technology able to download the data stored in the MSDs was perfected into a mostly mechanical and partially biological device called the biomechanical body. Metaviringens (engineers that work with the technology) often call the biomechanical bodies "biomechs", though a wider used by the public name is an easier to say and more comical sounding, "BiBos". Unfortunately the project's funding was widely cut due to information getting out that many of the minds that were being stored in the MSDs were non-consensual and those that had the implant were much more likely to get the death penalty. There are only 2 facilities left in the URA that are producing the BiBos as of 2072. One of the facilities is on the outskirts of Multuvisas’s capital city, Listik, and the other in a classified location in Toros, but they are running on fumes and will go bankrupt if they make even one mistake. Rumors have it that they are so low on funds that the workers are just volunteers and don’t get paid; and they have to rely on faulty and old mid-2040’s tech just to keep running.