Bureau Ave

Adelaide Manor, named after Madelaine's great grandmother, when she was born. Adelaide's parents were the first of their generation to own such a large estate that to celebrate, they named it after their first-born daughter.

  But Adelaide, despite her cheerful exterior, wasn't very happy. To have their first house named after her only made her seem lower. And as time passed, Adelaide Manor was treated as a member of the family, even almost replacing Adelaide entirely. The house was cared for the most, the house was top priority, and there were multiple instances when the house was called by her name.

  Adelaide Manor became Adelaide's twin sister, who could replace her at any moment. And Adelaide herself was jealous until the point she burned the entire house down with her parents inside overnight by pouring cooking oil on the gas stove. The neighbors reported this incident and fortunately, the structure was saved, and the parents lived, but Adelaide disappeared. Some say she hung herself after lighting the house on fire and other rumors state her parents murdered her after finding out what she's done.

  Years later, Madelaine was born and her sister, Adelaide, who her father names in tribute to Adelaide Manor. They were born in the manor and been there ever since.

  "I must be the luckiest girl!" That was Adelaide's favorite line. She was first in line for the first porcelain doll, Chelsea, franchise collection, she has every dress she's ever wanted, and she's starred in one of the first colored tv shows, Colored Girls.

  "Then what else is there to live for, if you have everything?" Madeline kept that to herself.

  "... to inherit the name of this manor!" She continued. "Madelaine, are you jealous?"

  "At least you're not like our late great grandmother."

  "That's not very nice to say, Madelaine." Father closes the book. "Your great grandmother had good qualities."

  "But Adelaide's boasting!"

  "Maybe start trying harder? Prove Adelaide wrong." Father winked. "Let's get ready for bed, now, children." He places the book on the round table by the couch. The girls climbed off him, following him into the bedroom, where he tucked them in for the night.

  Madelaine took no care in Adelaide's pride nor father's foolhardy joke.

  "Father, if great grandmother died at 12 years old, then how were we born?" Madelaine whispered as he went to give her a kiss goodnight.

  "That's our little secret." He whispered back before leaving the girls in the dark.

  "You're not so bad, Madelaine." Adelaide turns to her side. "At least you're not like Melanie. She has no achievements. Even you're just lucky to have me as a sister, who can pass down her precious belongings."

  "Father said not to talk about her."

  "Well, father's not here. Good night, Madelaine."

  "Goodnight, Adelaide."

  The floorboards creek in the darkness of the night, which seemed to decide to stay longer rather than letting the morning set in. Through the window on Madelaine's side, the light of the full moon shined its greatest, not holding back to show off its majesticness as this would be the only time to do so.

  Father had left the door cracked to leave in the little orange light to peep from the living room fireplace. With the girls asleep, father made midnight the time to get his work done reviewing his student's assignments and preparing new lesson materials. He worked at the nearby school, Browns University, as a side occupation along with being a doctor. His two jobs made enough income to keep the house and support the family, but no matter how busy he was, he made his children his priority.