1. Prologue

"Since Justin has been in this wild music industry, he's lost his way a bit. He's made some friends in dark places and, well, let me just cut to the chase—you're the only one who can bring him back to himself."

"Me? Look, Pattie—I care about Justin but what makes you think I can do anything to help? He doesn't even know me. We crossed paths briefly as teenagers. That's it. I can't imagine myself having any real or meaningful impact."

"Mi Mi, are you kidding?" 

She surfaces her affectionate nickname for me from back then. I'd almost forgotten. I feel a tinge of pain in my heart. Pattie continues.

"That stage of your lives was so much more than just 'crossing paths' to Justin. He loved you. And I believe he still does. Just let me reunite you two—you'll see. Plus, when have I ever been wrong?"

Pattie had a point. She was always right. And I did miss him. I feel my anxiety levels increasing. Come on, Milan, my brain pleads with the question—'is this really a good idea?' And did she say Justin loved me? He sure had a funny way of showing it back then.

"I need to sleep on it for a day or two. I'll reach back out to you no matter what I decide, okay?" I say breathlessly, overwhelmed.