To the Burrow

"Come on Viola!" Hermione huffed, pushing her hair behind her ears, "we're already late!" 

"I'm - er - working on it" I muttered as she lugged her trunk down the stairs, thumping loudly against each stair, sending Crookshanks into a frenzy with each thud! I rushed back up to grab my cell phone and my wand before taking one final glance at the bedroom I shared with my younger sister. Was I missing anything? 

"Come ON!" Hermione was shouting again. Oh well. I don't think I'm missing anything, and besides, Hermione has probably never forgotten anything in her life. I rush out the door and drag my trunk along the driveway and heave it into the back of my parent's old car. It's honestly got to be older than the both of us combined, but somehow it's still running, a fact which has mystified muggles and wizards alike. Speaking of my parents, they both step out -- still in their pajamas -- to kiss us goodbye. 

"Love you, Mom. Love you, Dad. I'll be sure to call, yes, I'll call I promise" I say through the excess of goodbyes and I-love-you's. 

"Be sure to call, okay? The Muggle Studies Professor told us she has installed a landline in her office in case your cell phones stop working again."

Hermione and I share a glance. Our phones didn't stop working last year, although that was my excuse for why we hadn't phoned since Christmas. Our dad stepped forward and pressed the car keys into my palm. 

"Take care of your sister, okay?" He said. "I'm so proud of both you." 

I swallow hard. Hogwarts is maybe the safest, least safe school on the planet. But they don't need to know that. What they don't know can't hurt them, right? 

"I will, Dad, I promise." 

"I love you, Viola"

"Love you too!"

"YES WE LOVE YOU BOTH VERY MUCH COME ON VIOLA PLEASE " Hermione shouts, sticking her bushy head out of the passenger window and waving dramatically. I jump into the car and turn the ignition harshly, feeling the rumble as the car comes to life. I pull out backwards, giving one last wave to the silhouettes of my parents standing in the open door.  

A few hours of driving -- and Hermione backseat driving -- later, we arrived at the long driveway that leads down to the Burrow, the large and magical home of none other than the second-best wizarding family in the world. Behind the Grangers, of course. The sun was peaking over the horizon, blocked only by the towering hodgepodge home of the Weasleys. 

"Wake up" I whisper, poking Hermione's sleeping form. She only grunts in response. I roll my eyes in frustration. I was the one who drove all the way here after all. 

"Wake." Poke. "Up." Poke. 

Even though it was barely dawn, Mrs. Weasley seemed alert and awake as she swung open the huge door to the Burrow and waved dramatically at them. 

"Hello dears!" She shouted, wiping her flour-y hands on her apron and marching over to give each of us a huge hug. "Too long, far too long it's been!" 

Several pairs of feet could be heard bounding down the stairs behind her, and before me or Hermione could detangle ourselves from Mrs. Weasley's smothering hug, two bright red heads appeared behind her. 

"Viola!" Two identical voices chirped as Mrs. Weasley loosened her grip. 

"It's been ages!" One voice -- likely George -- said, "we have loads to tell you!"

Fred pulled Crookshanks out of her carrier and into his wiry arms. She hissed dramatically in his face. Fred hissed back, jokingly. Seemingly satisfied, Crookshanks settled and burrowed deep into Fred's arms, under his jacket.