Chapter 1 - Awakening

"One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness, one last blade forged in defiance of fate."

When Izuku Midoriya was four years old his dreams were shattered.

"Sorry, Kid. It's not gonna happen."

Izuku's figurine, the miniature of the hero he aspired to emulate, clattered to the ground as silence enveloped the room. His mother spoke first, sounding confused.

"Oh dear. So you really think there's
something wrong, then? Most of the other kindergartners in his class have begun to show signs already."

Izuku felt an odd pang of paralysing embarrassment at that, as if he was just outed as the only kid still wearing diapers. The Doctor, not noticing or more likely not caring to address the child's grief-stricken face responded clinically.

"My records say you're a
fourth-generation Quirk user. What powers do you and the boy's father have?"

"Nothing too special. I can float small objects towards me.. and my husband can read surface-level thoughts. They're useful enough, I suppose."

The doctor paused for a moment, before pulling up two images on his screen. An MRI and an X-ray.

"Izuku should have already
manifested one of these Quirks, or a combination of both, but after viewing his x-rays, I don't think he's going to. You see, when superpowers first began appearing, there were many research studies conducted, and doctors discovered a link between the bones in a person's foot and their likelihood of developing a Quirk. People with powers have only one joint in their pinky toes. Their bodies have evolved into a more streamlined version of the human form, as if evolution had been sped up. You can see here that Izuku has two joints in his pinky toe-"

He looked at All Might, lying on the ground, and silently apologised for a failing over which he had no control.

"-Like roughly 20% of
the population these days. Based on the research that's available it's safe to say your son isn't going to develop a Quirk. Before we finish, I do have a question to ask, Mrs. Midoriya."

His mother's pitying gaze left Izuku and returned to the older man.

"Yes, Doctor?"

The doctor gestured to Izuku's MRI.

"Your sons brain development is largely standard.. although, we've noticed signs of an emitter Quirk of mental origin affecting his frontal, and occipital lobe. It's not my business how you parent, but your kids brain needs to develop safely. He won't have much else to use."

Inko blinked in surprise, indignation showing clearly on her usually friendly face.

"Are you accusing me of quirking my son? His father has been in America for the past two years!"

The green-glassed doctor raised his hands in peace, clearly not wanting to deal with a confrontation.

"Alright then. Good day, Miss."

Inko grabbed Izuku's hand and spun on her heel, just in time for Izuku to scoop up Mini-Might and start crying into his idol's plastic body. Inko held the boy tight, squeezing his hand three times as they always did.

His mother whispered to him as they sat in the car.

"It's okay, baby. Everything will be okay, my little Star."

Despite her outrage and concern for her son, the concept festered and poisoned her thoughts into paranoia as she comforted him. Had someone been quirking her son?

==================================

When Izuku Midoriya was six years old he did the impossible.

Inko knew that maybe buying those tickets every weekend might have been a waste, but she'd be damned if she couldn't at least pretend she was lucky.

Hisashi had abandoned them. She had already felt that way when he left for the fractured States, but now, it was real. He hadn't called in three months, and they hadn't gotten his payment since he went dark. Inko always worried this would happen, but it would be okay. She had her little star.

Speaking of, Izuku was at her side as they entered the convenience store. He was half-humming, half muttering the theme of All Might: All Night! The newest animated special of the hero. Inko was glad his diagnosis hasn't destroyed his love of Heroes. She picked up a few bits and pieces: Rice, Eggs, pork and some veggies. Izuku deserved a nice Katsudon after they had eaten cheap noodles all week. It also looked better if she bought more than just a lottery ticket. She cleared her throat as the cashier rang up her items.

"Could I get a ticket? The Jeanist Lotto one, please."

The cashier nodded and reached for one of the scratch cards, before Izuku broke out of his babbling trance and spoke, his eyes seeming blindingly green, if only for a moment.

"The fifth one from the front."

The cashier smiled slightly. "Your boy a psychic or something?"

Inko chuckled politely. "Oh if only, I'd come here every day."

The man gave a small nod to the boy. "You're the boss, kid."

He grabbed the fifth ticket from the front, and handed it to Inko as she slipped him the money.

"You two be safe now!"

Midoriya called back, in a surprisingly loud tone. "You too mister!"

Inko would laugh to herself as the numbers came up on the TV, scratching away at her ticket. Those little moments, of her little star shining, always made the weight that Hisashi left easier to carry. Even if the ticket didn't really matter, it was heartwarming to hear Izuku talk so much to a stranger. He'd been quieter since the diagnosis.

Inko was propelled out of her reflection by sheer shock as her eyes registered the numbers on the TV. She looked between the ticket and television in amazement and disbelief.

They had won.

===================================

When Izuku Midoriya was seven he started dreaming.

He was on a bed of constellations, overlooking a glittering collective of stars that swung in cosmic arms around a gaping blackness that swallowed light. One star in particular, within what he would come to know as the Orion Arm, shone particularly bright. Some, even nearby, seemed to churn with odd colours and writhing shapes that made him queasy.

Izuku watched, as the arms turned like some cosmological clock, and stared as the twisting shapes and unnatural colours of the bad stars seemed to almost turn towards the bright star. Tendrils of purple miasma reached out from each, all clawing through the Milkyway to reach the bright beacon of light in Orion.

When they finally touched the beacon, they latched on like leeches. He panicked for some reason as the miasma fed, Sucking the life out of the star until it was dry, and dark, and wrong just like them, and oh-: He was in Tokyo. They had been there when dad visited, but this time the storm clouds overhead churned unnaturally, malevolent purple tendrils twisting around within the darkness of the sky until somehow he knew they saw him, and when they did, four great Incorporeal hands of claws, and tendrils, each disgusting and twisted in their own way reached out to grab him, greedily sl-

Izuku awoke with a scream.

===================================

Izuku Midoriya is 14 years old now. The dreams have not stopped, and the times where he falls from his own mind into a twisting labyrinth of interconnected strings, only to find out he has delivered an omen of some sort have only increased. No one is sure if its somehow a Quirk, coincidence, or something more;but nobody likes the Quirkless Kid who dissociates and acts like a medium. Inko in particular is scared, because the last time he delivered an omen, it was one of ill fortune and change, and it was set to happen tomorrow.