Chapter One

Friday, October 16th, 8:55 pm
I was pinned to the gym floor by two very massive wolves. Identical in coloring and bui, my triplet brothers were always tag-teaming up on me in fight practice. Since I couldn't tell them apart except on special occasions, they normally won our sparing matches.

"Garret and Gavin, please remove yourselves from Genevieve." Coach Lyons called from his court side gaming chair. He wasn't very active himself, but he made a great gym coach.

"Thank you, Mr. Lyons!" I called as my obnoxious brothers climbed off me. He nodded, and blew the whistle, signaling the next pair to begin. We were practicing shifter vs. human form attacks.

"You have to admit, my plan always works." Gavin boasted after he had shifted back into human form. I rolled my eyes and walked the other way.

My relationship with my brothers was very interesting. Besides sharing the marvelous birthday of October 17th with them, we also shared an unbreakable bond. We all had inherited my mothers thick blonde hair, and my fathers jade green eyes and tan skin tone. I was the eldest, by three minutes, then came Gavin, and Garret was the youngest by six minutes.

I had the closest bond with Garret, mostly because Gavin is a cocky asshole. While Gavin was Mr.Popularity at school, Garret was more of the quiet, laid-back computer guys. I was in the neutral zone. My best friend Heather and I were much more of the keep it cool type.

I was also best friends with someone else; Ethan. Ethan was Gavin's football buddy, and over the years, we had become friends. Sometimes I wish it had blossomed into something a bit more romantic, but Ethan had made a promise to himself to wait for his mate. He still hadn't found her yet, but he was eighteen already, so he would meet her soon.

I smiled as I thought of Ethan. Grabbing my gym bag off the bleachers, I headed towards the hall that led into the lobby of the packhouse. People waved as I arrived into the plush lounge area. Members of the pack decorated the area, munching on doughnuts and sipping on coffee that had been brought up from the kitchen.

I walked to the elevator and pressed the code in that allowed me to go to the penthouse suite, where me and my brothers and my parents lived. My dad was the Alpha, and my mother was the Luna. They were the ultimate power couple, but they would be stepping down soon.

My birthday was in less than twenty-four hours, and I was turning eighteen. Which meant that the hunt for my mate would begin. I hoped it was someone in my current pack, but my chances were slim. Many of our own pack's youth had already found their destined mates. But me, Gavin, and Garret were the "late bloomers" of our age range.

I threw my gym bag onto the black leather sofa in our living room after the elevator doors had closed behind me. I heard the familiar hum of my mother in the kitchen, most likely baking three customized 18th birthday cakes. Mine would be lavender and white, with the fancy scroll-work and fondant roses that every teenage girl adores.

"Mom, I'm home!" I yelled, and trotted into my mother's sub-zero, stainless steel heaven. As expected, my mother had her baking apron on and a smudge of flour on her pale-skinned cheek.

"Honey, how was endurance training?" My mother asked me, placing the plastic spatula she had been using to spread butter cream icing onto the pristine marble counter top.

"Idiot One and Idiot Two ganged up on me again. I love Garret more, so can we trade Gavin for a pet zebra?" I questioned, saying the the first animal that popped into my head. My mother chuckled at my dismay, and I rolled my eyes in typical teenage reaction.

My mother, Danica, had been the seventh out of nine children. Her family had been members of one of our area's poorer packs, the Tri-Delta Pack. She grew up wearing her older sisters Jen and Trish's hand me downs, and was quiet and shy in high school. But, when her eighteenth birthday came around, she went to a party at her high school. There she met my father, Anthony, who happened to be her mate. And the son of an Alpha, my grandfather, Daniel Van der Group.

Our pack, Bay Cove Pack, now was one the most wealthiest packs in America. But we were also very powerful, with three patrol teams and an army for protecting from and overpowering rogues. We had a minimal amount of attacks per year, but we still had to be prepared.

"You know your brothers. They are five year olds trapped in teenage bodies. Plus, they just love their sister." my mother said, and I laughed. My brothers hated that I was the oldest.

Being the oldest meant I got to open presents first on our birthday and Christmas, blew the candles out on my birthday cake first, and I got the biggest room. It was actually a loft, with my own Jacuzzi and everything. The boys had their own rooms and bathrooms, but I was the one with the ten by eight foot walk-in closet. With a built-in shoe closet and shelves filled my (my mother's, mostly) designer purse collection.

"They are envious of what I will receive." I hinted to my mother, who got my reference. As the eldest child of the Alpha, I would step up as Luna as soon as I found my mate. I could denounce the title to Gavin, but I would never let Mr. Self-Absorbed near the power seat.

"How about you go get some rest. Dinner is get it yourself tonight. Besides, you have a big day to tomorrow, birthday girl." my mom said, before shooing me out of the kitchen.

I climbed the ladder to my loft, and opened the white pine door. Immediately I was greeted with lavender walls and the sharp scent of vanilla. I closed the door, and began removing the sweaty workout clothes from my body. When I was just left in my favorite Nike sports bra and a pair of boyshorts, a knock sounded at my door.

"Come in!" I yelled, thinking that it was my mother asking me about a sugar rose coloring. Instead, I was greeted with the widened green eyes of none other than a very surprised Ethan Kristopher DuBois.

"Ethan, oh my god!" I yelped, before throwing a blanket from my bed around me. Ethan covered his eyes as I hobbled my way into my closet.

Pulling on a pair of Juicy Couture sweats and a tank top, I walked back out into my bedroom. Ethan was seated on my bed, his hands covering his face.

"Hey. You can uncover your eyes." I said, nudging his shin with my knee.

"Evie, what time were you born?" Ethan asked me, removing his hands from his eyes and looking at my digital clock on my nightstand.

"I was born at 2:26 am. Why do you ask?" I questioned him.

"Because, we are staying up until 2:26."

************************************************************

Saturday, October 17th, 2:20 am

It was six minutes until I would officially turn 18.

Ethan and I had been up all night. We had microwaved cold spaghetti and had a picnic on my bed. So, three movies and a couple cups of coffee later, him and I were patiently staring at my alarm clock.

"Is being eighteen different from being seventeen?" I asked Ethan, and he chuckled.

"It's pretty much the same, besides the whole mate ordeal." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

I nodded, and waited a few seconds before asking the question that had really been bothering me for the past couple of hours.

"Ethan, why did you really come here tonight? Gavin is your best friend, not me." I said, and Ethan looked taken back for a moment. Then he took a deep breath, and it all came tumbling out of his mouth.

"Ever since I met you five years ago, I couldn't help but take interest in you. Your smile, your laugh, everything about you. I told myself waiting for my mate was the best thing to do, so that's what I told you to keep you from falling for me also. But I can't hide it anymore. Genevieve, I am madly in love with you." Ethan said, exasperated. I was in shock.

"Ethan....." I said, but didn't finish. Looking over to the side I realized what time it was. 2:26 am. Looking back into Ethan's eyes, that's when my childhood fantasy became reality.

Mate.

***************************************************************************************

I hope you enjoyed this first chapter of my story. Please comment if you want this story to continue! Thanks.

~Erin