9. Breaking Free

Tuesday, May 2nd, 1989

The rain trickled down the side of the bridge and into the rushing river down below. The wooden rope bridge swayed from side to side. Andrew allowed the rain to hit his face. A ball landed in his hand before being tossed again into the air. So, our lives are about to get real dunked. He pulled his red polo shirt. He shuffled back against the rope before dropping onto his knee as a member of the Elkran guard walked past carrying a transparent box of poké balls.

"Rew-Rew!" Lioa waved, walking towards him. "That town meeting was so full of tauros-shit." He raised his hand and caught the ball.

Staring up at the sky, Andrew said, "Yeah, we will get dunked by school."

"Not going to do that shit. Literally keeping us indoors because they want to make us do what their law says." Lioa spat on the floor. "James, you were so lucky. We had to sit through the most boring town meeting ever, and Captain Twatbel wants us to go to school."

"Fuck that!" James shouted. "They need to fucking pay. They'll make us follow their religion or only speak their language or something." He slammed his foot into the wooden post, holding the bridge up. It wobbled slightly before sinking back into the muddy earth. "So, Ano, what was that about? The poké balls and stuff?"

Andrew shrugged and caught the ball.

"We could totally steal it from them twats. Would be a good way to make them piss back off to Elktan. Someone has to steal them, though, or... or... yeah, that's better, let all the pokémon loose. That'd be destructive and make them sorry." Lioa reached into his pocket, pulling out a small wooden pyramid with six rods. "Green, then pink, then red, then purple, then yellow, then blue. Single pull." He held it out and placed his fingers on one of the rods. Andrew and James each picked a rod, and Lioa said, "Three, two, one, pull."

"Red," Andrew said, smirking.

"Ha, blue. You twats!" Lioa jumped up on the spot.

"Sorry, Ano, I got purple." James raised the rod and handed it back to Lioa. "Get going. Remember, release all the pokémon they brought in, yeah? Also, Li, is it true? You threw Kitiku onto the machoke?"

Lioa looked up at James. "Don't be a twat. He got himself in the way."

Andrew looked back at Lioa and sighed. "Alright, I'll give them a good dunking." He waited for the soldier to pass over the crossing and then quickly darted on his tip-toes to the edge of the office building. The thick bushes housed joltik, and the occasional starly rustled as he snuck around the back of the building. He placed his hands on the edge of the dumpster around the back and pushed his right foot against the small piece of metal that was protruding from the side. The black metal lid wobbled, but he took a deep breath and pulled himself onto it. Laying flat, he could just about catch a glimpse of the clear case through the window.

Quickly, Andrew jumped up and grabbed hold of one of the window ledges. However, he felt his fingers start to slide. "Ah crap," he said. He felt a tingling sensation in the back of his neck and adrenaline rushing through his system. He swung himself into the window. A thud rang out, but the window didn't break as his fingers slipped. "Ow!" he said, rubbing his back and looking back at the window. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the following window was open. He shuffled back on the dumpster and sprinted to the edge. He leapt up and grabbed the window, breaking the first wooden hinge under the sudden weight.

Andrew quickly pulled himself through the window and onto the floor. And Fehahra scoof Captain Takui rolls into the box. He left the room and headed into the narrow corridor. He runs along the corridor towards the enemy goal. Suddenly, he saw two Elkran soldiers walking down the corridor from the other direction. They try to cut him off, but he dives out of the way. He held his breath, waiting for them to pass. His hand wrapped tightly around the poké ball in his pocket. He slides past the defence and into the goal semi-circle. He takes his bat and slams the ball into the net! Andrew tossed his poké ball forwards, and his deino appeared before him. "Use tackle, Nuktio!" She sprinted forward and slammed into the case, shattering it. The noise echoed through the corridor, and the footsteps of Elkran soldiers and guards started to get louder with every passing second.