Prologue

"In the eyes of its mother every turkey is a swan." 

~ Luxembourgan Proverb.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"Your highness." I glanced up at the courtier looking down at me as I fiddled with fabric  on my tunic.  A large smile spread across his face as he reached for my little hand.  "I'm afraid the Empress is awaiting you."

I frowned, grasping the mans large sausage fingers. "Can't I play some more? Must I really go?" I tugged on his arm gently staring up at the large young man put in charge of my care.  "Please Titus! Pretty pleaseeee?"

His smile only widened as he shook his head looking down to my little body, "I'm afraid not young majesty, but tomorrow after your tutor I shall join you in a game of chess.  How does that sound your highness?" I nodded to him seeing that I had gotten what I had wanted. 

I followed Titus out of my chambers clasping his hand tightly as we walked through the dark halls of the castle.  The castle at night was not a place that I held dear, far too grand for the ornamental torches of gold and ivory to light.  Shadows were what graced my home at night  and would leap out to scare me.  I quite rather would have wished to be asleep at this hour to avoid all possible presence of the shadows.  Nonetheless here I was, little six year old me facing my fears all to speak to my  step mother.  

I being the middle child of five children and the only child born to my mother just months before she perished.  I never got to know my mother, although hearing stories of my mom from my siblings I know that I should see that as a blessing.  An angry vile Empress was how she was always described amongst my household. I could never see her in this light though, to look badly on a woman I had never known, one whose portrait could only be found hidden away in chests under my bed.  Her smile seemed too warm and real to ever be read as vile.  Alas the mention of my late mother was one of the few things that could break my step mother's composure.  An incredibly jealous but poised lady.  I could not truly complain about her though, as the Empress treated my elder siblings and I just as her own children. I was eternally grateful for the love I received from her.  

I pulled on Titus's arm again to get his attention as we hiked aimlessly around the palace, "Do you think father is with mum?  I want to tell him about the drawing I drew of him! I think he'd like it.  Don't you think so?" I watched his reaction as he smiled in the dark. 

"I'm afraid not your majesty.  The Emperor is attending to Prince Lucien's lessons at the moment." Titus squeezed my hand gently.  

"This late?  Titus, father is trying to work Lucien to death I fear." I furrowed my brows trying to think of the last time I had been around my eldest brother.  "I fear I never get to see either of them anymore."

Frowning I looked up to Titus again to see his face expression lost in thought amongst the flickers of torch light.  "Your majesty, you must understand that Prince Lucien is the heir to the throne, it is only natural that he be thrown constantly at books with little time-" Titus paused a look of concern washing over his face for a split second as we made it to the Empress's room. "I'll be right out here your highness." He smiled once more at me before letting go of my hand and waving me forward to the large doors leading to my step mother's chambers.

I smiled once more up at Titus giving him a quick nod of thanks before entering through the open emerald doors into the Empress's room. Enamored with the finest silk curtains and easily the best smelling corridor in the whole palace. The fragrance of sweet honeysuckles lingering in every breath. I couldn't help but feel relaxed as the shadows of the hallways became more and more distant, my deep blue eyes adjusting to the brightness of the large room in front of me. 

"Aha! There's my dear Prince Everett! Whatever took you so long?" I turned towards the soothing voice as she let out a few giggles.  Her long blonde hair bouncing with her laughter. 

"Mum!"  I chuckled running up to her with my little sticks for legs.  I wrapped my arms around her legs squeezing her tightly. "I don't like the dark." 

"Oh Ev," she ruffled her frail hands into my curly auburn hair. "Look outside my window." She pointed towards the giant window on the opposite side of the window pulling me up from around her legs and holding me in her arms. "What do you see out there?"  

I stared out there into the dark surroundings of the castle.  "I see the lake. Oh! And the stars and the moon too! They are very bright tonight Mum." 

"There you are, the dark is needed for the prettiest of nightlights. It's where the light shines through the best." She looked thoughtfully out onto the lake. Her green eyes running over every bit of the dark water. "That's home to me." 

"The lake or the stars?" I watched her carefully as she carried me closer to the window.

"The lake, do you see how it reflects all the light off of it?"  I nodded as she continued on, "I like to think that the lake reflects all the brightest pieces of life." 

"I like that too I think. Can I also call the lake my home Mum?" 

A tear rolled down her cheek as she pressed a kiss on my forehead, "I'd love that Ev." She whispered in her kiss.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *