Chapter One: The Darkness

There they go. They don't even acknowledge you watching them as they abandon you. You guys have been through everything together. You thought that they would never leave you defenseless like this. And yet there you are, staring out the window as you see them disappear into the distance.

Why did they do this to you? Do they not realize that they have just left you to a terrible fate?

You get up and start to pace, thinking. Wondering. Waiting.

You keep pacing, lost in your own mind, for what seems like hours until you hear it. The sound you dreaded to hear, but knew you would eventually. The sound you would do anything to make go away.

Laughter. A deep, haunting laugh that sends shivers down your back.

You whirl around. There. Down the darkened hallway, you see the out line of a man. He just stands there, watching you, like a lion stalking a gazelle. You stare back, frozen with fear, your heart hammering. You know who he is, and why he's here. But now what?

Something seems off to you. The hallway... it shouldn't be dark, should it? No, you had left the light on earlier. And it dawns on you. All the lights have dimmed and gone out. You look to the window, and your eyes widen at the fact that there isn't anything but darkness beyond the glass. The whole world was robbed of light.

You turn back around at the hallway and nearly scream. The man isn't but four feet away from you. You can see him more clearly now, but there isn't much detail to take in. Everything about him was black and white--stark white skin, matted black hair, stained white teeth, cold black eyes. He seems surprisingly the same age as you.

You take a step back. He steps forward. He slowly backs you into a corner. This can't be happening, you think to yourself. You thought you had more time.

He smiles when he notices how frightened you are. A pure, wicked grin that tells you that this thing is no human.

Suddenly, its hand shoots forward, enclosing around your neck. It raises you off the floor, its grip tightening.

You're struggling to breath. Black dots dance around in your vision. You try to kick at your assailant, to pull its hand away from your throat, but you're already weak.

It brings its head closer to yours.

"Just give in," it says, finally speaking. It's voice was soft yet harsh.

No, you think, trying to remain conscious. You will never give in. You won't let it win.

"Give in to the darkness..."

Never. But you can't keep it up. Your vision is dimming. You can't breathe. The darkness welcomes you.

You start to close your eyes...