Part II Chapter 16 "After The Storm Comes The Calm"

As they say, "after the storm comes the calm". Katherine opened her eyes slowly, feeling the warmth of morning sun rays caressing her face. The scene she witnessed made her thoughts unravel. Daniel was lying next to her. His left hand embracing her softly.

What is the meaning of this? What happened last night? The last thing I remember is that sudden message. How did we end up together?

Seeing him sleeping so peacefuly made her smile.

He's even more charming when sleeping. This morning is already full of surprises.

She didn't dare to move, fearful of awakening him.

Should I let him know about the message? Whatever happened last night , seemed to turn things upside down, otherwise he wouldn't be sleeping right next to me.

All of a sudden there was a phone buzz. Seems like someone was desperate to reach Daniel as his phone nearly fell of the night stand vibrating.

She saw him opening his eyes sitting up in bed reaching out for the phone.

- Yes? Good morning Ms.Fletcher. Yes, sure. I remember about today's faculty meeting. I'm afraid I'll have to skip it. There are some emergency issues that require settling. I have already informed Prof.Robertson that I intend to take some days off and get back to work as soon as I can. Have a good day! Oh, sorry for that. I did not mean to wake you up.

- It's fine. I wasn't asleep already.

- Good morning!

- Good morning!

- Are you feeling better?

- I think so. Why?

- Well, do you remember what happend last night?

- I'm afraid not. The only thing I remember clearly was that message.

- What message?

- These two Americam gorillas were setting terms, warning me that in case I don't locate those Tudor treasures my dad is a dead man.

- May I see it?

- Sure.

She passed Daniel her phone opening the message.

- Bloody bastards! Oh, pardon my Fremch.

- Not at all.

- They seem to play a very serious game, and whoever is behind it would not give up easily. So that's what made you faint, isn't it?

- What do you mean, faint?

- Last night you stepped of the room, shouting something out loud, clearly in shock.

- Jesus! I must have acted a complete fool. My apologies...

- It's fine. No need to worry. Thank God, I was there to catch you on time.

Katherine tried to sit up but there was pain written on her face.

- Careful, lay back. - Daniel comforted her putting Katherine's head back on the pillow gently. - Stay put.

- Where does this pain come from? It splits the head. - Katherine touched the forehead shutting the eyes quickly.

- You had a bad fever last night. You'd better rest for now.

- A fever? How so?

- Something shocking might have happened. The message, I suspect, made you dizzy and led to you losing concsiosness.

- I can hardly remember that. I suppose it wasn't just the message to blame. I had a nightmare.

- Did you? May I inquire what sort of nightmare? - worry readable in Daniel's voice.

- My dad... He was...

Katherine didn't manage to finish the sentence as tears started streaming down her face. Her lips trembling.

- It's okay. It was just a dream. Come here. - Daniel embraced her once again, making the sobs go away. - It's over. - he wiped Katherine's tears gently looking her straight in the eye.

- Sorry, I've been quite unstable these last few days.

- Do not apologise. Sometimes you just need to let it go. I'll get downstairs to cook up some breakfast. I suggest you stay in bed for a bit, just in case.

As he was about to leave, Katherine took him by hand:

- Daniel?

- Yes?

- Thank you. Thank you for being there for me last night. It means the world to me.

- You're welcome. I'm glad you're okay. - a faint smile touched his lips.