Leaving Motown

Michael pov

I could never have imagined leaving Motown in all the years I was with them. Berry treated me like I was his son unlike Joseph. However, I suppose everything happens for a reason. My brothers and I were only getting 2.7% of the royalties from every album sold while we worked for Motown.

Furthermore, we couldn't write or produce on some of the albums. Given that Jermaine is married to Hazel and all, Tito attempted to get him to speak with Berry, but Berry refused. I shouldn't be thinking about this right now. I wonder what Tisha is doing? I'll stop by and see her now, but first I have to make sure she's home and that my mother is okay with me going.

"Mother", I called for her.

"Yes, sweetheart", she answered.

"Is it okay if I spend a little time at Tisha's house"?

"Sure, just have Bill take you there and give her house a call to see if she's not busy".

With getting my mothers approval I called her house to see if she was home. The phone rang a good minute before Stanley, her older brother, picked up.

"Hey, Stan, this is Michael, is Tisha home"?

"Sup, Mike, yeah she's home", he said.

"Wonderful, would you please let her know that I'm dropping by".

Stanley answered, "Yea, sure".

I asked Bill, my security guard, to bring me to her place. She was living in Palm Springs, which was a three-hour drive from Encino. I'm not sure what it is about Tisha, but she always fascinates me. I mean she has a sweet personality, she has street smarts, and doesn't dress like other girls like she has her own swag. And her beautiful brown eyes that I always find myself looking into.

Or her family, for example, don't reside in some lavish home like most celebrities. Her family resides in a typical neighborhood in a lovely eight-bedroom home. The best part is she isn't bothered by the fan as much as my brothers and I would be.

She would occasionally tell me that the folks in her area would just beg for photos and autographs. They seem to treat her as an ordinary person rather than a famous person they've seen on television. Sometimes I wonder what that type of treat feels like.

We finally made it to her house after what felt like eternity. Bill parked the car outside and I knocked on the door. To my amazement, her other older brother Tai answered the door when it swung open.

"Hey Mike, how are you doing?"

"Hi Tai, is Tisha here?"

He answered, "she's upstairs in her room".

"Okay, thanks"

I went to her room upstairs. I knocked on the door a few times till she opened the door with a gloomy expression.

I said in concern, "Ti, are you okay? You look sick".

She lied and said, "Oh hey Mike, I'm just not feeling well that's all".

She motioned for me to enter the room. I moved to the bed and took a seat.
Her music journal was open on the bed. I look at the song she recently wrote.

"Ti, this is incredible! This really ought to be on your group's next upcoming album".

She scuffs, "Yeah, right like that's gonna happen"

I gave her an incomprehensive stare.

"What are you trying to say?"

"Michael now me and you both that Berry isn't gonna allow that".

I asked, "So I guess you're having problems with Berry too?"

I watch Tisha pace back and forth in her room. She seemed to be at the point of having a mental breakdown.

"Tisha, are you sure that everything is okay?"

"You know what, I'm not okay. I'm just tired of rejection!".

Tisha screams, " I just want my life back! I want a kid again! Is that too hard to ask?"

Tears streamed down her face.

From what Tichina was telling me one day that she was going through, but she didn't know what it was. I guess Tisha finally reached her breaking point.

The next thing you know, she's sobbing uncontrollably while balled up in the corner of her room.
I approach her to console her.

She questioned "why does everything have to be so complicated?"

I say, "I suppose that's simply the way life goes", while I'm trying to calm her down.

"You know that I will always be here for you, Ti, whether you decide to quit now or tomorrow".

"Sometimes a person needs a break, don't they?"

"Thank you, Michael. You know, I really didn't take this job seriously until when I first started till I was fifteen, but right now I just want to get out".

"What will you do now, then?"

"I'm moving back to New Jersey to live with my aunt and complete my education there. I may also enroll in Rutgers University's summer arts program that I have been wanting to go".

"I'll miss you".

Tisha sobbed, " I will you too, Mike".