"Mija"

Dear Diary,

It was the summer of 1974, when everybody called me "baby" and it didn't occur to me to mind. And, It was also the summer where papi and mama's divorce was finalized. Hearing them yell and scream over senseless things during my adolescence, urged  me to remind them how oh so thin our apartment walls were. Papi started sleeping on the couch for the next 8 years, and I started to sleep next to mama; trying to warm the  bed that was soon to be left cold. Fortunately,for the last year and a half, they've  been separated, (to which I'd  like to thank the gods for). Mama gained back her glow, and I believe I did too. On the last day of sophomore year, mama and papi both decided it would be best if I visited him during summer break. "Mama you know how I feel about him!" I cried to her across the kitchen. With care, she placed the steaming chicken onto the table, and took her seat next to me. "Mija I know, but it's important that you spend time with your father, you never know how much time is left with him on this earth" she said, stuffing her mouth with rice. Before I was able to get a word out my mouth, mama gave me the I-dare-you-to-say-something look. Finishing our meal and silence, I brought our dishes out to the sink to wash them. To be honest, I thought, visiting him wasn't going to be all that bad. I mean giving up my entire summer vacation is definitely not ideal, but California has so much to offer. "Don't forget to wash the knives!" Mama yells from the upstairs bathroom, totally interrupting me from my thoughts. Rolling my eyes, I gather our knives and place it under the running water for a few seconds. " I literally was just about to wash them" I mutter to myself, already done with the day. "Escuché eso" mama mutters as she walks back into the kitchen. How does she hear everything, I wonder? After placing the last plate and utensil back in the dishwasher, I head up to my room. Plopping myself on my bed, I stare up at ceiling. I really have no reason to be frustrated, I think. I have no real friends that would miss me when I'm away, and I finally have a chance to escape this lame ass town. Rethinking all my life decisions that has led up to this moment, I suddenly hear a sound coming from outside my window. Confused and curious, I push my desk out the way and lift up my window. The cool wind hits me with a startle, as I look down, and spot Christian from down the block, standing under my window, impatiently waiting. Oh you've got to be kidding me I thought. "What are you doing?!" I whispered-yelled to him. "The whole neighborhood can practically hear you throwing rocks at my window, like do you even understand how much trouble your putting me in right now?". With a guilty look on his face, he edged closer to my window."I'm sorry, it's just I heard you were leaving and I just—" "just come up" I said, interrupting him.