11. Satchels Full of Beautiflies

Thursday, May 4th, 1989

The starly chirping outside the window was loud enough to wake James from his dream. His stomach growled, but he flopped his head against the pillow. His red hair covered his eyes, and he let out a frustrated groan.

"H-hey James," Kitiku said.

"Morning Kuti. I'm up..." James sat up on his bed and slid off the bunk. He bent down and picked up his white polo shirt from the pile of clothes on the floor. "Ha, what are you wearing?"

Kitiku looked down at his white shirt and orange jacket. "M-my uniform. Y-yours is over there." He pointed to the uniform which was on the table.

"Really? I hate this." James threw his polo shirt on the floor.

Kitiku smiled. "I-its soft and c-clean a-and is t-too b-big so w-we will g-grow into it." He tugged down on his blazer as best he could and hopped forward to James. He watched as James pulled the white shirt on over his head and got dressed. "T-they s-said will give us f-free lunches. H-hot meals every d-day we are there."

James reached over to the bedside table, picked up the poké balls, and dropped onto the floor. He reached under the bed and pulled out some spray paint cans. Quickly, he brushed past Kitiku and walked down the wonky stairs. His eyes caught the gaze of Pierre in his portrait. I'll do you proud and make them suffer. James slipped around the banister and into the kitchen to grab something to eat.

"I'm sorry, sweetie, we don't have any food. Not until tomorrow, but they will give you something to eat at the school." Nashe took a small hairbrush out of her apron. The small black brush's teeth were wonky, but she pushed it into James's hair and gently combed through. "It's time to go. Behave. You'll do great."

James shrugged and turned around. He opened the front door. "So, Kuti, are you going to actually walk today?" He saw Kitiku nod back and smirked. "Let's go. It's the new building, right? It's only like two streets down." He walked off with Kitiku in tow. The cobbles had dried from the overnight rain, and the warm sun beat down on his back. Bright orange, thick blazer? At least they delivered. The smell of the bread wafting from the bakery, and his stomach growled again. James's feet dragged as he went around the street corner. He could see the building at the end. The stone bricks were clean, and the glass windows glinted in the sunlight. Damn, that's one big building. I never even realised they were building it. I guess they have machamps down south. "I'm going to just decorate this place," James smirked and pulled the spray paint cans back out from his pockets. He walked to the brick wall, shook the black can, and pressed down on the nozzle. Whole point of being here this early is to do this. Screw them.

James drew a cartoon-like outline of an Elkran officer on the wall, being punched in the face by a sawk. He changed the spray paint can and coloured it in the outline.

"What are you doing there?" Lieutenant Tomilson's voice shot a shiver down James's spine. "It's very good." He crossed his arms and stood beside James. "Although, I'd appreciate it if it wasn't me."

"You aren't angry?" James asked as he turned to face Tomilson. "Also, your hair looks weird brushed like that."

Tomilson pushed his hair down a little and said, "Ha, maybe, and no, I am not angry. I think you are talented, but graffiti is illegal... but if you want to express how you feel, I have an idea. Just see me after school ends. I'll be around." He patted James on the shoulder. "Let's go inside; the opening ceremony is starting soon. You can finish that tomorrow."

"Ugh, fine." James lowered his head and plodded inside. The large central hall looked down on the stage. He walked down the stairs and squeezed on the end of one of the rows. There are like 500 people here.