Chapter 1: Another Day in the Montgomery House

Sunlight filled my room, a nice change from the usual sounds of people marching and shouting. It's the Montgomery way, with my father being a war hero and my brothers, Daniel and Ethan, following in his footsteps.

"Get moving, Catherine," Daniel's serious voice reminded me that it was time to face another day.

"Yeah, yeah," I replied, knowing the routine. Our house is like a boot camp, training every day to be tough. But in my heart, I yearn for something calmer, away from all this toughness.

As I walked through the halls, Daniel nodded, and Ethan flashed a mischievous grin.

"Morning, Cat," Ethan greeted, mischief in his eyes.

"Morning, Ethan," I replied with a small smile.

The military drills outside echoed, a reminder that we live in a place where weakness isn't allowed. But in my dreams, I imagine a life without constant battles.

The sound of military drills filled the air, a reminder of the toughness expected in our home. We spent hours doing push-ups, running, and practicing combat moves. Daniel, with his logical approach, drilled us like a commander, while Ethan added his twist to make things interesting.

After breakfast, As I escaped to my room, I glanced at a faded photograph on the wall in the hallway– Dad in his uniform, standing tall, flanked by Daniel and Ethan, their expressions reflecting determination. Yet, amid this tribute to valor, a longing for simplicity crept into my thoughts. The sun warmed the medals on Dad's dresser, each telling a story of bravery. A desire for simplicity grew within me.

The day continued with drills and discussions, the pressure to be strong always present. Yet, a sense of rebellion emerged. I wanted a life where quiet mornings outweighed military expectations.

Alex, our butler knocked, "Miss, you were called to the meeting."

I sighed, "Understood." Alex left as he heard my answer.

It was likely a meeting addressing the turmoil in the city. Our family safeguards the citizens; Dad manages city affairs, Mom oversees documents, Daniel commands soldiers and officers, and Ethan handles investigations in and out. As for me, weary of always being tough, I volunteered to act, approaching targets closely and leading them into traps. Not to boast, but this has garnered our family more support and love from the people than even the royals receive.

As I entered the meeting room, I felt a murderous vibe and instinctively avoided it, narrowly dodging a thrown knife. Glaring at Ethan, I knew it was one of his tests.

"Nice dodge, cat. I guess you're not losing your touch" Ethan commented sarcastically.

I gave him my sweetest smile, making him shiver, knowing I wouldn't let it slide if he kept testing me.

"Sit," my father sternly ordered. I sat beside Ethan.

"We're here because I got a tip that Adrian Everett is now operating in the city," my father revealed.

Adrian Everett, a notorious mafia, is untouchable with support from high-ranking people.

After a one-hour meeting, we concluded the plan – no rash attacks, no direct approach to Adrian. His web of influential support made every move delicate.

Wanting to clear my head, I jogged, knowing I wasn't supposed to be part of this mission due to Adrian's danger. As the evening approached, I entered the house and saw a man staring at the photograph on the wall. He stood tall with a confident demeanor and boasted broad shoulders that spoke of strength and resilience.

As I approached him to get a better look, I observed chiseled features and a warm light brown glow to his skin. The man staring intently at the photograph, finally noticed me. His hair, seemingly dark as the night, transformed into a beautiful brown under the bright light.

He came closer and extended his hand, "You must be the gorgeous daughter of Sir Vincent. I'm Elias Calloway, but please, call me Eli." His smile, not flashy, but one that lit up his hazel eyes, made the world momentarily fade away.

"Everything okay, miss?" Elias asked, his eyes showing genuine concern.

I panicked when I caught myself staring at him, "Yeah, just another day," I replied, feeling a bit flustered.

"I'm Catherine Rose Montgomery," I answered as I shook his hand.

I felt so embarrassed that I made him wait because I was staring. I was taken aback because it was the first time for me to let my guard down.

"Sir Elias, you may now enter Sir Vincent's office," our butler, Alex, informed.

He nodded but lingered for a moment, offering a subtle comfort. "I hope we talk soon, Miss Catherine," he said before leaving.

That night, as I lay in bed, thoughts swirled about the clash between wanting a peaceful life and the reality of the Montgomery legacy. What's more, I can't seem to stop thinking about Elias' smile. There's warmth in that smile, a kind of comfort that makes me feel seen and understood.

It's not just about the curve of his lips; it's about the way his whole face lights up. And in that moment, everything feels a bit lighter, a bit more hopeful. I catch myself holding onto that smile in my thoughts, like a small treasure that brightens even the toughest days. Elias has this way of smiling that makes me want to see it more. I wonder what it's like to be the reason behind that quiet, comforting grin.

Little did I know, a chance encounter with Elias was the beginning of a story that would redefine everything.