Chapter 16 - The storm that follows

Felicia

We didn't stay long. After five minutes of staring shellshocked at the cave-in, we got a move on when we heard helicopters. Colin took no chances and ushered me away. It took about a ten minute walk to get a safe distance away. We flew from there.

Currently we're somewhere past the lakeside city.

"What now..." Colin's voice sounds defeated.

The sudden sound of his voice startled me at first. He hasn't spoke a word most of our fight.

I just shake my head, "I'm not sure."

I hear him hum in thought, "You got anywhere to call home?"

I frown, "Only one, and I don't think you'll like it."

"Well at this point we don't have much options."

I nod, "Are you up for flying to California?"

"California? Why?" 

"That's where my only family live."

I could visualize his face paling by the tone in his voice, "You don't mean-"

"Yes Colin, my parents."

"Ah..."

"Well I promise you as long as your by my side they won't harm you," I try and cheer him up. Though, this is a lie. But I will defend him with my life.

I hear him sigh. Accepting fate. I feel as he rests his head on my neck. A silent tear drops from his face. I frown as I continue flying.

It wasn't long before he fell asleep. And I resulted to gliding, to keep him in that state. We have quite the flight ahead of us. I will have to make rest though. Colin's extra weight don't help to my already exhausted body, even if not by much. It stacks though, really fast. 

The afternoon passes at a snail's pace for me. I fell too deep into my mind I never noticed the darkening clouds. That was until thunder rolled along the clouds. Colin wakes up in an instant.

"Eh what! thunder?" 

I look up to the sky, "I don't like this."

A single drop of rain hits me in the forehead. More quickly follows. I slowly feel the extra weight come into play. 

"Do you think we should land?" Colin asks as the light drizzle turns into a downpour. 

I grunt then lightly spit out, "Got anywhere in mind?"

He goes silent. As there is nothing but suburban land below us. It has long been past since we've flown over the city of Chicago albeit from a dozen miles away. Shelter is not easy to find in the many fields and houses that make up the suburbs. 

By now flying is becoming a chore with every beat of my wings. The water makes my wings heavy and the wind is threatening to hurl me from the sky.

Colin knows this, "Felicia! I am really thinking we should just find an old barn!"

He has to shout over the growing winds. 

I was about to answer but a strike of thunder stopped me. I give a glance to the sky before continuing.

"Where do you expect to find one?" I shout back.

"I've driven around these parts before! Some of my family live here. I know there are abandoned barns scattered along the fields!" 

In the distance I see a bright pillar strike the earth. A deep rumble follows. The wind is slowly picking up. If we can't find anywhere then we'll have to go by foot. And that can end in all sorts of ways.