Chapter 20 - Making some amends

Colin

The ground quakes everytime the titan of a dragon ahead of me takes a step. My phone says that it's 7:24 in the morning. Infitus insisted we both try and see if the traps he set up caught anything.

"Why do you bring me along?" I half shout as he naturally has a good 40 yards on me.

He keeps walking, "I need to talk to you about a few things, privately."

Every now and then I have to break into a dash to keep up. Infitus suddenly stops and starts lowering his hand into a hole I failed to notice. Rather big hole too. I'd say the size of one of those plastic kid pools. I raise a brow, having a guess at what he's doing. When he brings out his talon there's a deer in it. Long dead. He simply slings it onto his back and continues walking.

I lean over the hole getting a quick glance. At the bottom there appears to be some pretty sharp looking rocks. I run up to Infitus once he gets far enough.

He takes a seat before turning his head slightly towards me, "Now Colin."

"Sir?"

He sighs, "I cannot act blind. In a matter of days you somehow became my daughter's best friend. Well her only friend I suppose..."

I squint my eyes, "Only friend?"

"Well there isn't really much of our kind here in case you failed to notice. Fire dragons tend to stay in their own mountains."

His voice became more serious, "The bond you've formed with her has thrown her onto a bridge that can be broken by a single crack."

He's father lecturing me...

"I don't mean to threaten but," His eyes carry a hint of fire in them, "If you are to forcefully break this bond know that I will see to it you are... Dealt with."

I take a step back, "N-no sir. She's as good a friend to me as I to her. I truly don't have the heart to break her's."

Infitus straightened himself, "And I believe you Colin. You're a good person. I see that," He starts to walk again, " but I had to get that through."

The next few minutes go by silently. Infitus found about 4 more deer from this 'harvest' I guess. Lot of unique traps this guy set up. Tripwires, falling log, pitfalls. I swear he has this whole forest booby trapped. Reminds me on some of my lessons from history.

I ponder on how Infitus keeps referring to themselves as "Fire dragons", I wonder, is there more. Oh now I have to ask.

"Infitus," I call, "sir."

"Ok one quick thing," He turns, "Enough of this 'sir' business. Drives me insane. You're my daughter's best friend, call me by my name. Or simply 'Fitus' if you so wish."

I give him a nod, "Well anyways Infitus. I want to ask you something real quick about you dragons."

"Alright then," He stops his trod, "Speak."

"You mention yourselves as 'fire dragons' I just want to know, are there more species of dragon?"

He chuckles, "There are indeed more than just us."

"You mainly need to know the primary 5: Fire, wind, water, earth, and toxin." He extends a claw every time he says an element. And I finally take note that a dragon's front talons are very similar to that of a human hand. Except ever less flexible it appears.

"Any more than that?"

"A few," He shrugs, "But they are either too lowly known or just too small to acknowledge."

He hums, "I suppose there is another factor. But I won't go into detail. Those other... irrelevant dragon races don't have what we call a source stone."

That heightened my attention, "A what now?"

He let out another sigh, "I told you too much already. Come, let us find more food," He nods along the trail.

Seeing as he closed the subject so fast I decided not to press on. Though it wasn't for another 60 yards when Infitus shouts my name. When I reach him I see he's sporting a big smirk.

He reaches down a slightly larger hole and with what seemed to be a tad more force to pull it, his talon surfaces with something that makes my eyes go wide.

"Not too often we catch one of these," He gives a laugh, "Always catch on to what's happening. Well their still animals aye?"

He slings the massive grizzly bear onto his back with the rest of the catch.

"Come on Colin let's head back."

I start to run after him and he finally pays notice to it.

"Colin," He extends a hand, "Hop on."

Hesitantly I clamber my way onto his talon. And he lifts me up to his head. I was silently thankful as I would have probably vomited next to the deer corpses.

Once I'm settled he starts his way back to the cave. I lay on my back, staring into the orange, turning blue, sky. Oh how far I've gone. Resting on the head of a dragon. Never would I have ever guessed. Ha! I sigh and close my eyes. Couldn't quite fall asleep though.

(And now you have a hint as to what the rest of this series will contain)

(These 'source stones' what are they?)

(The Bellator family doesn't fully know)

(So that will be answered in the next book)

(So whats with this book then?)

(We'll I just wanted to make a cool story then it evolved)

(Things will make more sense though. Especially in part 3)

(What is part 3?)

(HAHA not happening)