11 | THE AFTERMATH

BELLONA, VALENCIA AND Aeschylus looked through the window, watching Athena who was looking out of the window of her room.

Bellona was pushed into the room by the other, she knew what Athena was going through, or at least she would be more understanding than the other two.

Athena saw the figure of one of her mentor's in the window, she was distorted by the rain which pattered lightly against it. She pulled her legs closer to her body as Bellona sat opposite her.

"It's hard." Bellona spoke softly. "And you never get over it, no one expects you too. You just learn to live with it."

Athena looked at her. "Jason could've won."

Surprisingly, Bellona shook her head. "Jason knew you would win, he had acid water on him. He was going to drink it after you killed Stella."

The girl's eyes welled with tears. "What?"

"I'm sorry, but you were going to win, Athena, no matter what."

The pair then sat in silence, neither knowing what to say. The door then opened and in walked Valencia and Fox, both somewhat timid.

"You have your interview tomorrow." Valencia spoke. "And then you're crowing the day after."

Athena stood, walking over to her room, she paused before going in. "Okay."

The three watched as the young girl closed the door, wanting to be alone and away from everyone. However, Athena could barely sleep that night.

"You let me die! You could've used that cream and let me win!"

"He would've died either way!"

"Athena! Athena!"

"Athena!"

The girl's eyes snapped open and in seconds she had the person on the floor, her over them with one hand raised for a punch. But she paused, staring at the figure.

Aeschylus stared at her, slight fear in his eyes.

Athena quickly got off of him, looking around the room for a moment before sitting on the floor in defeat.

Chy sat up, watching her as he did, worried that any movements might set her off again. He watched a tear slip down her cheek, breaking his heart.

Of course, he had grown fond of the girl as they had spent lots of time together before the games. He worried every moment she was in the games, he was tempted to plead to his grandfather to end it so she would live.

He moved over to her and gently wrapped his arms around her, Athena collapsed into his arms, beginning to cry. He pressed his lips against her head and held her closer. He didn't care how long he had to be there, Chy would stay as long as he needed to.

It took a few hours for Athena to calm down, by now the pair were sat in silence, both staring off into space, thinking.

Aeschylus was the first to break the silence. "I have something of yours." He spoke softly.

He removed his arms from Athena, who sat up and watched him through red, puffy eyes. She watched him remove her chain and pendent from his neck and gently place it on hers. Athena was happy to feel the familiar metal on her body. She slowly took the bracelet off her own wrist and placed it on Chy's.

Chy once again wrapped his arms around Athena, who accepted the hug. The pair looked at each other, and Chy suddenly pressed his lips against hers. Athena sat still for a moment, shocked by his actions, but as he pulled away, Athena pulled him back into the kiss desperately.

Their lips just felt right together, although both knew that this shouldn't be happening. Chy pulled her onto his lap and Athena straddled him gently. His hands moved down her sides and rested on her hips. The two pulled away and Athena rested her forehead against his.

"Athena-"

She shook her head and shushed him. "I know, but can I just enjoy this, please."

Her voice was to fragile and broken, Aeschylus just wished Athena had never been picked for the games.

He nodded slowly and their lips met again, nothing more happened, although they moved from the floor to the bed and Athena stayed cuddled up to Aeschylus for the rest of the night.

When she awoke, she was in bed alone but on the bedside table, she saw that Chy had left his bracelet with a small note beside it.

'You survived and I am so happy you did'

She smiled softly at the object and placed it on her wrist.

That night, Athena found herself sat opposite Flickerman, her dress was a rose gold dress, matched with silver jewellery.

"So, Athena." Flickerman spoke softly. "These games...were quite emotional. We all saw how much you cared for Jason."

Her breath got caught in her throat for a moment but she quickly cleared it and nodded. "Yeah, he was like my little brother. I needed to protect him."

"And you did so well at that, you really did." He gently petted her hand. "And I have one last question for you...that bracelet, your token for the games, can you tell us what it is?"

Athena looked down at her wrist. "It has a carving of the God of Survival...Aeschylus."

The crowd mumbled among themselves.

"Who, may I ask, gave that token to you?"

"Aeschylus...my mentor." She responded truthfully.

The crowd then burst into cheers, seemingly happy about a possible romance between Athena and Aeschylus. 

But President Snow was angry, what was happening between his grandson and Athena seemed familiar to him, and it was not something he wanted to be reminded of.

The next day was the Victors Crowning, Athena was in a silver dress with gold makeup and was sat watching President Snow as he spoke to the people of the Capitol.

He turned, the crown in his hand, he walked towards her and gently placed the object on her head.

The crowd roared in applause and cheers for their new Victor.

Athena thought to herself, she wondered how the hell these people viewed what she went through as entertainment. She was traumatised and yet people were cheering for her for winning a game where innocent people killed and killing for other peoples entertainment.

That night, Athena was on the train home. She was accompanied by Bellona, Valencia, Fox and Aeschylus. The reason the latter three had joined the two day journey home was due to the fact that it might be a while until they saw each other again.

Athena ended up spending most of those two days with mainly Aeschylus, even at night they were together, laying wide awake in Athena's room.

Aeschylus ran his hand up and down the girls back as he stared at the ceiling. He knew something that worried him, something his father made almost every tribute do.

Athena seemed to notice that he was off. "Chy? What's wrong?"

The boy thought for a moment, wondering what the best option was but eventually he decided to tell her. Athena listened quietly, a bit shocked and disgusted.

"But I have an idea, I could...well...buy you." He flinched at his words. "You know what I mean, just to make sure nothing bad happens to you."

"Aeschylus." She spoke, putting her hand on his chest. "Everything will be fine."