Chapter 1

I know that right now in this moment, I'm supposed to feel happy, excited even. 

But I can't.

Not when I'm currently walking into a replica of the environment I was in when what probably will be the worst heartbreak of my life happened. I try to put the butterflies in my stomach at rest but they're too worked up.

No, I'm not going to let these past memories take over my life. I'm done with him.

Anyway, I honestly was surprised when the White Sox reached out to me telling me that they thought I was an exceptional candidate and gave me the job of The Chicago White Sox Social Media Coordinator. Exceptional? Really? I mean, I'm qualified for the position but exceptional isn't something that I can label myself as. In the end, I'm just happy to find a new job this quickly, the rent in Chicago is really something else. 

I snap out of my thoughts when I can now hear the sound of people conversing, I must be nearing the office area of the building. I turn the corner and see a long hall with any diverging halls and offices. What office did the email say? Maybe 10? Yeah, I think it was 10. Probably.

I have a little trouble finding the office 10 but it wasn't too difficult. I knock on the door and hear a voice say "come in". I open the door and can see a man who looks about 40 sitting at a desk with two computer screens and a hell of a lot of papers stacked on it. I kinda feel bad about interrupting his work. I would be mad if I had to deal with that many papers and someone comes in to talk. 

"Sorry to bother you sir" I say with a shy and apologetic smile.

"Ah you must be one of our new hires! There's no need to be sorry, take a seat" He says enthusiastically. 

Man, this guy must love his job to be all smiley smiley at 7:30am. I scan through his office, a little more thoroughly this time and spot a small stool in front of his desk. As well as many baseball action shot posters scattered on his walls. I step into his office, closing the door behind me and sitting in the small black stool in front of him. 

"So let me get you started, can you tell me the position you are working?" The man asks.

"Yes, I um got accepted to work as a social media coordinator" I tell the man before me nervously.

He starts typing in his computer and looking at his screen intently. He then releases a surprised sound and mutters my name under his breath. Damn it, I'm already getting weird looks, people defiantly have heard about me. The man studently sees my face, now even more nervous and spews out a mixture of apologies. 

"Sorry! It seems that since I'm the social media manager, I will be your boss during your time here. Nice to meet you, I'm Zack Thornton" He says quickly, sticking his hand out to be shook.

"Yeah, nice to meet you Mr. Thornton" I say while grabbing his hand and shaking it.

"Right then, I should probably show you to your office and introduce you to your colleagues" Mr. Thornton states as he stands up.

"Okay, lead the way" I say as I get up as well.

I follow him outside of the office as he takes me farther down the hall to room 21. I can hear the slight chatter of people from the other side of the door and through the small rectangular window can see that room 21 was a larger room. There were four small desks and the room was surprisingly way more spacious than I thought it would be, seeing as how small Mr. Thornton's was. 

"This will be your office" Mr. Thornton says as he opens the door.

All eyes in the room turn towards my direction as there is now an awkward silence filling the room that was once littered with chatter. Oh no do they know who I am? Mr. Thornton speaks up and introduces you to the three people in the room.