14 | THE RED SUITS

ATHENA STOOD BESIDE Bellona, Valencia stood in the middle of the stage and Dallas stood on the other side, alone. Athena scanned the crowd, wanting to see her mother among it but she found no familiar face.

"As we celebrate the 75th anniversary and third Quarter Quell, we decide our tributes for the year." Valencia gave both Athena and Bellona a sad, guilty look as she walked over the bowl that held only two cards.

She reached in, taking some time to decide which card to pick, but eventually she pulled one out and walked back to the microphone. She opened the card, her eyes closing as more guilt fell over her.

"Bellona-."

"I volunteer as tribute!" Athena spoke, her eyes glossy.

A tear slipped from the Valencia's eye as Athena moved from beside Bellona to be closer to Valencia. She looked back at her mentor, she looked relieved but guilty.

Valencia moved over to the bowl that held only one card, she pulled it out and back to the microphone she was. "And your male tribute is...Dallas Carson."

The old man wobbled over, taking his spot beside Valencia.

The small group soon found herself on the train to the Capitol and Athena only had one thing to look forward to, seeing Aeschylus. The train ride seemed longer than it had been seven years before, it seemed quieter too. The most common sound on the train was Bellona and Valencia bickering. But Athena didn't care, she believed she was going to die in the games.

(Dallas' games are not of my own idea, if you know the original creator please comment it below)

Dallas sat across from Athena, taking in his surroundings. A lot had changed since he had been in the Games. He arrived in a cattle train with the other tributes, they had no food, no water and barely any light. He had also only managed to win the games by complete accident and that haunted his life. He only wanted to be nice to the younger tributes, give them a fighting chance to win by giving them food. He didn't know the rats were poisoned. Athena looked at the man, he seemed oddly calm despite the situation he was in.

Eventually, they made it to the Capitol and much like before, they were taken to be washed and cleaned (however, Dallas was not happy with it) and then taken to their home for the next few weeks before the games.

It was clear that this year was the year to make allies, Athena had met some of the other victors before and she planned to ally herself with Finnick from District Four. He had won the Games three years before Athena, he was only fourteen, making him the youngest victor ever. The two had met a few times, and had become good friends over the last seven years, even managing to send letters to each other.

Johanna from District Seven was also a good bet, she had won the 71st Games. She was good with an axe and it was clear based on her reaction to her reaping that she was mad at the Capitol and Snow, much like Athena was.

There was also Katniss and Peeta, the newest victors. They had potential, especially Katniss. 

Athena had thought long and hard about why Snow had decided that the Quarter Quell would have previous victors, her mind first went to herself and Aeschylus, but it seemed too far for Snow. He would've just killed her. So she reasoned that it was due to the small riots among the Districts caused by Katniss, Snow wanted her gone and the best way to do that was through other, stronger victors and in view of everyone.

Athena and Dallas slowly walked to their carriage, both wearing red as Athena once did at her Games. Dallas held onto Athena's arms as they got to their carriage, but he transferred to holding onto the carriage.

"Athena."

The girl smiled lightly and in relief when she heard the familiar voice, she turned and hugged Finnick who gladly returned it. He gently kissed the side of her head.

"Hey." He pulled away. "Looks like we're in the same boat here."

Athena nodded sadly, both she and Finnick had older tribute partners. It was unsure how they would hold up in the games, Mags happened to be in much better shape than Dallas but both were still quite old and fragile.

"He's not said a thing since I've met him. But he doesn't seem scared, not in the slightest."

"They've been around a long time, Athena." Finnick spoke. "But they know an awful lot more than we do."

He dropped the girls hand and walked over to Katniss, trying to be nice to her in order to get her to be an ally. Finnick and Athena had already met and decided on being allies, it was an easy decision as both wanted it to happen.

Athena heard her name be called gently, she looked around, slightly confused until her eyes spotted a bit of red peaking around the corner of a wall. She slowly walked over, suddenly being grabbed by the person in red and having her back against the wall. Lips met hers, Athena panicked for a moment but quickly realised who it was and her lips pressed back.

Aeschylus pulled away, his forehead resting on hers. "Athena."

The girl could hear the fear and worry in his voice, she placed her hands on his face. "Hey, everything will be fine, I promise."

"But what if it isn't."

"You just have to trust me." She gave a small, weak smile before kissing him again.

"Woah." A voice spoke.

The pair pulled away, seeing Peeta looking between them. Athena's eyes widened and she pushed Aeschylus back slightly. "Peeta."

Aeschylus gulped slightly, wondering if Peeta would now not want to ally himself with Athena or if he might tell Snow what he had seen. He quickly kissed the girls cheek, smoothed out his red suit (worn to match Athena and to piss off his grandfather) before leaving.

"Were you just-"

"Peeta, believe me, it's not what you think."

"You were kissing Snow's grandson, the guy that put us back in here."

Athena grabbed his shoulders. "You have to trust me on this, he is nothing like his grandfather, okay?"

They were then called to get into their carriage and be ready, so Peeta dropped it but gave Athena a look over bewilderment before he left. The girl groaned softly, wondering the same thing Chy did, had she just ruined her chances of gaining Peeta and Katniss as allies?