A dream as sweet as brown sugar

It was a relatively calm, peaceful evening. Toto, who was sitting cross-legged on Ron’s “floor of sloth”, let out a sigh and stretched a bit, trying to get rid of his sleepiness. It had been very busy at work lately, and he was completely beat, wanting nothing more than to get a bit of rest. Amamiya-senpai hadn't gone easy on him, burying him under mountains of paperwork and minor cases no one had wanted to deal with. So in other words: like always. Despite his now rising popularity, his superior’s treatment towards him still hadn't changed. Oh well, what could you do?

So what was he doing currently at Ron’s instead of finally heading home and getting a well-deserved break? Well, the thing was that it had already been several weeks since the last time of them solving a case together (or more precisely: of Ron solving a case Toto had brought him), and Isshiki had to admit that he had been worried about the detective, for he knew exactly how depressive the other could get when there weren’t any new cases in sight.

So he had decided to come for a visit in order to see how Ron was doing before going home, his heart twitching painfully at the mere thought of the latter being sad.

But to his relief, his worry had resulted to be unfounded: Ron was now lying next to him on the floor without a care in the world and happily humming a song while knitting something that looked like a wool hat — with a platypus design. Toto very much hoped that he was making it for himself and not for him, because wearing that thing outside would be beyond embarrassing. But then again, if it really should turn out to be a gift for him, the officer would still wear it, of course, in order to make Ron happy. A slight blush appeared on his cheeks as he thought about that.

And exactly at that moment, Ron turned his head into the officer's direction, smiling at him, as if he had read his mind.

“Tired, aren’t you, Toto? Another long day at work?”

Toto smiled back, running a hand through his hair.

“Yeah. So much to do that couldn't wait until the next day.”

Ron pouted a little.

“And yet you failed to find even one case for me. I’m disappointed, Officer Isshiki.”

“Hey! Not my fault that Amamiya-senpai still treats me like a mere errand boy, not considering me worthy of the really important cases!”

Okay, so maybe the detective wasn’t that fine, after all.

The latter chuckled, raising one of his hands in an appeasing gesture.

“Okay, okay, point taken. Don’t get mad, Toto.” He sat up, still knitting that hat, and faced the officer. “Did at least something interesting happen at work you could tell me about?”

Toto brought a hand to his chin, thinking.

“No, not really. Just the usual documents, interrogations, and…” He suddenly got beet-red and averted his gaze. “And something that hasn’t got to do with work and that I’d prefer to forget.”

“Oh? Tell me!”

Ron had moved a bit closer, looking expectantly at him. His hands stopped working on the knitting.

“I said I’d prefer to forget it!”

“Oh, come on! You look like a tomato now, so I bet it’s something really interesting.”

The officer got startled for a second and then let out a sigh, resigning to his fate, since it didn't look like Ron was planning to leave him in peace any time soon.

“Alright, alright! Well, I was carrying some papers to an office where they had to be put away, opened the door and saw…” Ron watched his cute little Toto become even redder and grinned, waiting for him to continue. The detective was obviously having fun and enjoying the situation. “And saw two of my coworkers… kissing there!”